1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gettin a nice bass, so I need a nice case. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Squigly Wiggz, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Squigly Wiggz

Squigly Wiggz

Feb 27, 2009
    So im finally moving up in life and getting some good gear. A Peavey Cirrus 4 and a Hatrke Hydrive 115 are now on layaway :]

problem is, i live in the tiny state of Delaware in the capitol, Dover. We have two music stores in the whole city and my favorite one just had a fire so they are working out of there warehouse severely limiting there gear.

Enough rambling though, point is neither store has an appropriate case :[

Cirrus' have long 35' necks and pretty pretty frickin nice so i dont want some frail case thats gonna widen on the neck rest or break emediatly if someone steps on it.

Any midprice but really nice cases come to mind?

ps its used so no, it doesnt come with a case and i cant afford a custom fit yet. and did yall not see the bit about the stores not having them?

2. First lesson for moving up in life and getting good gear, don't let people step on your basses neck.

In all seriousness though, get the matching hardshell for a cirrus if it doesn't already come with one, either that or you can go with a cheap hardshell from Rondo Music online for like 50 bucks. Or you can spend some cash on an ATA flight case at the store.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

When I bought my Cirrus, cases were included with all Cirrus basses as part of the cost. Is that not the way it is these days?

4. If you are getting the Cirrus BXP (which I believe is the imported version) it does not come with a case. You need to decide what type of case that you want. If it will only be you hauling your bass in the front seat of a car, then a gig bag would be most conducive. If you are going on the road with a band then you might want to invest in an ATA case formed to the instrument, since your instrument will be out of your sight and care a majority of the time in transit. If you want the protection of a hard case but don't want to spend the money on a custom case, then a run-of-the-mill ABS plastic case will do for most applications. Here are some links to help you out.

Generic Gig Bag

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Elite-Bass-Gig-Bag?sku=541769

Universal ABS Case

http://accessories.musiciansfriend....niversal-Electric-Bass-Guitar-Case?sku=541667

Custom Case

http://www.nashvillecase.com/Home.html

I hope this helps. The main thing is for you to decide which type of case is best for you. For me, I chose the hardshell that came with my main bass. I have an apartment near where I attend college but I frequently go home to visit my parents. This commute is 90 miles and I drive a truck, so the case fits my needs best. I also have a bag that I use when I am just heading to jam with friends since I can throw all of my necessities into one bag and go.

Good Luck!

5. He did say moving up, so I doubt it's a BXP. :) My guess is that it's probably used and doesn't come with a case. But anyway, they do usually fit in most cases. I had a BXP Cirrus (So I can rag on them :D ) that fit in a Roadrunner gig bag with no problem. It also fit in the Roadrunner standard case with no problem.

6. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Yes, Cirrus still comes with ABS hard shell case. If yours does not come with one, get one (or a flight case) ASAP. Also get a quality stand. I'm a fan of Hercules stands personally (won't use anything else).

7. According to his profile, he is moving UP from an Epiphone Les Paul Bass, so it could be a BXP. :D

8. Good point. :D

9. Squigly Wiggz

Squigly Wiggz

Feb 27, 2009
    thanks for the links they helped alot man :]

10. Squigly Wiggz

Squigly Wiggz

Feb 27, 2009
    and no its not a bxp, its a Peavey Cirrus 4 Walnut Top.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

So they didn't include a case?

12. Check this out. When I got my Vadim made, he picked me up a double-rifle case when he was in the states. The thing cost $100 american, and is stronger than any bass case I have ever come in contact with. The downsides: pretty heavy, and the handled is centered, so that means it will be off balance when you carry it. The pros outweigh the cons though, for me, because it's a tank.

You cant see, but the hinge actually runs the ENTIRE length of the back, not like the usual bass case, with their 3 or 4 tiny little hinges. The front has 2 regular clasps AND 2 combination-lock clasps. The centre foam layer can be cut to accomodate whatever shape the body of your bass is.

Vadim023.

Vadim025.

I HIGHLY recommend a gun case. I will never buy another bass case as long as I live.

13. buzzguy

buzzguy

Mar 8, 2009
    Winnipeg
    Oh man, those are nice! I played one at a local shop this past weekend. One of the sweetest basses I've played! Loved it!
    Priced to move at $800cdn. Seriously considering the lay-away option...
    And yes, that one came with a case, too.

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    InCase SlimBag.

15. Squigly Wiggz

Squigly Wiggz

Feb 27, 2009

TRUE! why didnt i think of that before? a gun case would would fine. and NICE bass btw

16. Squigly Wiggz

Squigly Wiggz

Feb 27, 2009
    hercules stands are pretty nice. i love how they lock when weight is applied. and they make double stands too. thats pretty nifty.
    man, someday i will have the money for all the stands, amps basses, peddles, cases ect. that i need/would like. it sux being a broke musician. its supposed to be the guitar player whos broke all the time, not the bassist.

17. Wow...I love the rifle case idea.

I have a generic hard case that my 5-string resides in most of the time here in Iraq. It made it from Hawaii to the dustbowl inside of a tricon packed with a bunch of other people's stuff just fine. I just duct-taped it to keep it shut, but just the latches do a great job of keeping the super-fine, gets-everywhere iraqi dust out completely. If I take my Crafter out after a month, it still sparkles like I had just cleaned. A lot better than the towel I have covering my Squier as it sits on the stand in the corner of my room. I will have to look into the rifle case idea for when I return, as my Squier was shipped out here from Musician's Friend.

Peace,
    Greg

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    +1 on the Hercules stands. They're the best I've used.

My favourite cases are Hiscox, which absolutely trump in every way (construction, fit and finish, rigidity) the other hard cases I've got by SKB. If you want to go with a gigbag, the top of the line Warwick rockbags are nicely padded and work well for me at a reasonable price.

19. Squigly Wiggz

Squigly Wiggz

Feb 27, 2009
    Dude I think its cool as anything that you live in Iraq and play bass. You have to worry about dust getting in your case? Thats rough man. Good luck with your music :]

20. Squigly Wiggz

Squigly Wiggz

Feb 27, 2009
    "We have two music stores in the whole city and my favorite one just had a fire so they are working out of there warehouse severely limiting there gear."