Gettin' Into Some Theory...About Time.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ColdFingerz, Dec 18, 2001.

1. ColdFingerz

ColdFingerz Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Simi Valley, CA
    As kind of a follow up to <B>Casanova's</B> thread, I figured I might as well shout out my own little question for the forum.

I have been playin' for about 5 years, on and off. (If you added up the "On" time, it probably only comes out to about 1 1/2 to 2 years, actually.) In any case, I never bothered much with Theory, unfortunately, for I was too busy just jammin' around and playin' with various groups in so called Bands.

Now, when I am trying to get actively involved in really <B>Learning</B> the Bass, I find just how difficult it is to communicate with other musicians and get your point across without any knowledge in music. My Brother has been taking Music Theory classes, and now he's helping me to sort of fumble my way into a proper understanding of the Concept of music, and its applications.

My mechanics are actually decent, I know my way around my bass...(aside from some poor fingering habits that have formed over the years):oops: But I can't stand playin right alongside the guitar, with little or no innovative fills to spice up my riffs. I might as well be a low end Rhythm Guitar. It really sucks, and I'm trying to come around.

The point of this short novel is, I guess, if anyone had any recommendations they could make for good Instruction. My brother only is around on weekends, and even so we have little time to go over any new material as it is.

We've touched down on Intervals and Chords, and Im just now practicing my Scales, Pathetic as it may seem. Im having a little trouble seeing where the application of this comes in. He'll hit me with little drills like:
    Whats the Key Signature for E b Minor?

And although Im coming along in this sense, I start wondering where that sort of information is needed in the Practical sense. I don't know, anybody have any suggestions for good Self Instruction Manuals, etc? I would like to be able to work on improvement on the fretboard as well as in my head, and not just on the weekends.

Thanks. (Sorry this is so long...):eek:
  2. Shumph

Aug 25, 2001
    On the move
    If you are studying on your own try,

Serious Electric Bass by Joel Di Bartolo

It covers

Bass Basics
    Major scales and modes
    Harmonic and melodic minor scales and modes
    arpeggio patterns for all major, harmonic and melodic minor scales and modes
    symmetric scales : whole tone and diminished

I think it is a great book. I got mine at mars for $21 but I am sure you can get it on the web

3. does anyone know of any websites that teach theory well?
  4. hey snaggletooth, try , great site for learning.
  5. why doen't anyone like lessons?
    come on, its the easiest way to learn what you need to know fast.
  6. ColdFingerz

ColdFingerz Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Simi Valley, CA
    <B>Chump Stain</B> I couldn't agree with you more. I am dying to take some lessons with a teacher I respect. I have actually only taken two in my life, and the only reason I quit is because every time I came in for my appointment the room just smelled like....Sex.

I dont know...Just a nasty Funk. So I guess you could say it really turned me off to the whole thing. I do wanna get back into it though, I just gotta find the time.

As for the Serious Electric Bass, Shumph I will take a look at it...Thanks!
  7. You may get VERY good without taking lessons and studying on your own... HOWEVER you will waist a HUGE amount of time!!

Its also a great way to support other musicians. Find a good teacher and stick with it... If you have a bad teacher, dump them without a second thought. Post something here for people in your area or e-mail the local college or university and ask for a recommendation(thats what I did). It will pay off BIG TIME!! - more than you could imagine!

I found my current teacher at:

Good luck!
  8. were you taking lessons in my bedroom:eek:

Seriously the way to go is Libster, it's the best site for lessons out there.
  9. ColdFingerz

ColdFingerz Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Simi Valley, CA
    I just checked out that Libster site, and there is a Buttload of Information on that thing.

I just printed out a few lessons to go over when I get off work, so this should prove to be definitely a valuable Tutor.

This board really gets into it. I like the feeling of community that is becoming apparent even in my early stages, I dont find that on other forumz.

10. hey Coldfingerz,
    welcome to talk bass, I didn't see you were new.

that's cool man, I think anyone who wants to play would be making a wise decision getting lessons.

I just don't understand the attitude of not taking lessons for some weak reasons people give. I got a buddy who plays guitar, he totally refuses to take lessons or learn any theory. he's been playing for about 7 years, and doesn't know an E from a G. he couldn't tell you where B was on his guitar. but when I ask him if he ever concidered lessons he gives reasons like "I don't want anyone telling me what notes are the right notes and what notes are the wrong notes". or "music should be free of any rules".

makes no sence to me.

11. :rolleyes:
  12. ColdFingerz

ColdFingerz Guest

Dec 17, 2001
    Simi Valley, CA
    I want to ask everyone's opinion on a certain subject.

You ever heard that you can't truly develop your own style by taking lessons from someone else? That by having someone "Teach" you how to play, you only learn their method of playing. Their "voice" on the Bass/Guitar so to speak.

Any thoughts? Can someone instruct while leaving out their own personal touch? Just teach music, and not music the way that say, Johnny Bravo, your instructor, knows it?

Interesting to me.
  13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

I don't buy it. A teacher (at least a good one) is a guide. Helping you find your own voice, not forcing his upon you. My idea of a teaching is to give you information and warn you of pitfalls along the path. He teaches you how to create... gives you a pallette, so to speak, but doesn't tell you what to paint.
  14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Taking lessons is probably the best way to learn. I'd love to take lessons but I don't have the time or money right now:(
  15. Thats just an excuse for people who don't want to take lessons ... In order to develop your 'own' voice you must learn how to speak(so to speak) ... I once heard a story about a great comtemporary writer that copied 'word for word' "the tale of two cities", "hamlet", etc, just to learn how the GREATS put words together. The same goes for music.

I think people who refuse lessons don't really feel like taking the time to learn music. They just want to learn some tunes to play with their friends, which is fine! Its all about having fun, but don't let them fool you into thinking they know 'music'.

Later -
  16. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    A good book that has really helped me imensly is "Building Walking Bass Lines" by Ed Friedland

this book covers scales, arpegios, chord structure, and will give you many tools to help broaden your knowledge of theory and help you create functional basslines. It also comes with a cd so you can get both aural and visual representations.
  17. After 27 years of playing I took my first formal lessons this past summer. My teacher is one of the best known and BEST jazz players in Portland. I'm still working on stuff he gave me and will be for some time. He encouraged me in my strengths and gave me exercises to improve my weaknesses. This was a GREAT experience and huge boost to my playing.

My advise when taking lessons: Be humble and openminded. Don't be afraid to be judged. Have some goals in mind and share them with the instructor.
  18. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    T Jay That's some good advice. I just finished with 8 months of lessons, ran out of cash. But I've learned enough to be able to do some self study
  19. check out bass .com for more lessons and possibly finding a teacher i have been playin bass since i was 15 yrs old played for two years put it down for about 15yrs i picked a bass up when i was 32 started takin lessons about 5yrs ago i am 42 now in a blues band that has a cd out there on cd now we are getting ready to record our 2nd cd next week and would you guess that my teacher is the guitar player in our band he must have seen that i was ready to play so this is my way of sayin you never know how its gonna work out besides takin lessons be true to yuorself and follow your heart good luck and dont ever give up