Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gettin' my new bass next week.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, May 31, 2001.

1. Well, folks, I've finally done it.......:D

Yes, I've lied to the wife again (so what's new...?:D). No, darned it, I haven't lied to her at all. I've been liberal with the truth, that's what I've done. Ahhhhh. 'Feel much better about myself now.:D:D

Anyway.....after all the requests for help on this board, I've taken the plunge. Not for a Jazz or a Yamaha as I'd expected, but for a lovely, jet black, Bass Collection SB310. (And a warm and sincere thanks to all who took the trouble to respond to my questions).

It's second-hand but is in unmarked condition: to be honest, it looks showroom fresh. After a bit of haggling I made it for £235 and with a padded gig bag + a set of Rotosound Swing strings I'm still paying less than the original price of the bass (around £260). The SB310 seems to retail in UK for around the £540, so I'm really quite pleased with myself. (But I do hope I've made the right choise because this is the only 'real' bass I'm gonna get)

What more can I say, other than: Roll on next Wednesday.

Rockin John

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Goodonya, mate! Except that wife thing...

I never heard of Bass Collection, exept from NJXT and you . How about posting some review or something later on?

Have fun with your new toy/tool!

3. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Congrats, Rockin John !
    I think you've got a pretty good deal.
    I had one too on my 5er.
    As Suburban wrote, please make a review.

Suburban -
    I'll tell what I know of BassCollection basses.
    They are made in Japan.
    They used to have a we site (http://www.nanyoboeki.co.jp/basscoll/bcolle.html) but it doesn't work anymore.
    Here in France, you can find them in allmost every shop.

I won't make another review of mine but it kind of looks like the one on the image I'm posting, except it's red, and has two barts soapbars and a big bad Gotoh bridge :D.

4. 'Afternoon Guys.

Yes. The Web thing. I've done quite some searching for "Bass Collection" but there's nothing to find. Also, at least here in England, they don't seem to be that well known, and my enquiry on this board didn't bring many responses, did it?!?!?!. For certain, I'd never heard of Bass Collection before I went to my dealer.

They seem to be nicely made, though, and well finished.

I chanced upon a review of a 5 string in one of this months guitar mags: can't remember which one. However, the mag seems to like these basses. They said, as I remember, that production had switched to China to overcome some previous production difficulties but I don't know what that means.

The '310 has a P style and a J style @ bridge which gives a very different sound to what I'm used to. More modern is, I suppose, one way of looking at it.

Yep, least ways @ this point I'm pleased. You know, the funny thing is, guys, the lads who get together for a jam had quite a bust up last night. Will the SB310 end it's days stuck up in my attic....?

Now, c'mon, Suburban...what's this about not lying to the wife, eh? Surely that's whay wives are for. No all you wives - only kidding. But a slight greying of the facts doesn't hurt, does it: when was the last time she came home with some expensive this or that.....?

Cheers guys.

Rockin John