1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gettin' out there...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by MGill, Apr 11, 2006.

1. MGill

MGill

Dec 31, 2005
    London
    Hey, i've been playing DB now for about 6 months and i feel im ready to start going out and playing with other people. Only one problem, i dont no anyone to play with, im looking to be in mabey a Duo/Trio. How would i go about finding other people, any tips, how did you guys meat people? :confused:

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Aren't everyone meat people? Except the Plastic People of the Universe!

Where you at? Check the local paper/cultural mullet wrapper to see if there are any "jam session" kinda things going on, anytim eyou hear soembody play that you like the way they play ask them if they know of any informal type sessions, hell ask'em if they want to get together and play. Don't limit yourself to a specific configuration, you just want to PLAY right now. As much and with as many different people as you can.

You been playing the big boy for 6 months, how long you been playing music (and on what other instruments)? What kind of music you looking to play?

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Meeting people to play with and getting gigs are fundamental skills you gotta deal with if you want to play (or work 'n play.)

If you don't have pals or schoolmates or whatever, you've got to hang out, be seen. Play on the street corner, in the tube station, wherever. Find jam sessions. Find clubs, go to festivals, read classified ads, read music store bulletin boards.

Even if you are Scott LaFaro reincarnated, you aren't going to get any gigs at all if you stay in your room. The simple answer is "figure out where there are musicians like you and finagle a way to weasel your way in there." Network, in other words.

Sometimes it doesn't work out. Neil Young couldn't get anything going in Toronto so after a couple years of that he said "screw it" and moved to L.A. That was 40 years and many millions of dollars ago.

4. MGill

MGill

Dec 31, 2005
    London
    Well ive goten my grade 6 classical geetar (Trinity) so i know loads of people that play through that, although none of them (i think) would be a nice arrangment with DB, Eg. Mandolin players and accordian players, i am only realy interested in doing classical stuff, Also where can i get the music score for things, or shall i jsut lissen to the cd and wright it out mysefl?

5. Play with your classical guitar friends. I duo with guitar players all the time. Get some duo classical books and transpose one part to bass clef; it’s easier than you’d think. Also bossa nova stuff goes good with guitar and bass. Work up a couple of sets and play out along the river or in parks until your ready for the posh restaurants.