Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gettin' Ready for the SERIOUS Low!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stewmc5222, Feb 7, 2003.

1. my AccuGroove Whappo Grande, the first of the production series, is scheduled to arrive TODAY! I have gigs lined up for tomorrow and next week and will use them to test the integrity of tectonic plates in this part of the globe. if anyone's in New Orleans and wants to check out a full AccuGroove system for a Conklin 8 string, come on down!

from the depths of low,

Stew

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Stew,

Let me know what you think about the sound, balance, & highs & lows on this beast. I've been dwelling on this cab & a Grande for some time now, but nobody has any real feedback about them. I hope the sound justifies the price...

later,
    Satan

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Stew, let me know when and where you are playing; I'll come check it out.

4. hey Satan,

I got to play it atthe NAMM show and it just tore my head off! I've been using an El Whappo for about 6 months and it blows away anything I've heard or tried in 20 years. I'd DEFINITELY say it's worth the bucks!

actually, the FedEx guy just pulled up, so I gotta go!!

:D :D :D

talk at you cats later,

from the depths of low,

Stew

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Stew,

I mis-read your thread! I see you already have an El Whappo (among others) & were referring to the Grande. Regardless, let me (us) know how this cab sounds compared to some 18's you had/tried & how it works with your El Whappo.

later,
    Satan

6. thanks, cats! I'm definitely stoked!

I'm gigging tomorrow, so I can give you some quick initial reviews after I get in...

woo-hoo!! :D

take it light and keep it groovin',

from the low end,

Stew

7. Be sure to have somebody play your rig, so you can hear it from 40 feet back.

I'd like to know if you notice a big difference being up close vs at least 40 feet away when they play low B. I suspect you will hear a huge difference in the big bottom notes when you are farther back.

8. hey bgavin,

I got to stand back and hear the speaker configuration I have at NAMM. there is a DEFINITE difference...!

:D

I'm gigging with it for the first time tonight, though, and I'll see what the sub can do. thanks for the recommendation!

from the low end,

Subcontra-Stew

9. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Stew,

Have you used any FX through these cabs like dist, chorus, wah, etc? I had an Acme B-4 that didn't work well with FX but an Eden XLT(4x10) worked great sound wise.

later,
    Belial

10. nah, man. I hardly ever use effects. I'll occasionally break out an octave divider (not so much now that I have the low F#) and this year I may invest in a decent envelope filter, but I try to keep my sound clean.

from the depths of low,

Stew

11. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Stew,

That's cool, good luck with your gig tonight! I hope your playing in a bomb shelter! LOL!!!

What kind of music are you playing anyway?
    If you would like you can check out my bands web-site EVOKEN.com & link to our Mp3's from there.

later,
    Asmodeus

12. hey Devil,

tonight's gig is a sort of high energy mix of funk, rock, and Texas blues. I'm just subbing, although it's a band I used to belong to. not the ideal showcase for the gear, but a boy's got to eat, right?

my two regular bands are a funk trio and a weird instrumental fusion three piece. the last one on the list is really the only one that I can say is *MY* band. it's a really eclectic stylistic palette and the insrumentation is equally unique: 2 basses and a drummer. I'm in charge of most of the melodic and solo passages, but everyone gets to stretch.

sadly, at the moment, our home computer has no working sound card so I'll have to hold off on checking out your mp3 site -- but we hope to change that soon.

thanks for the well-wishing and I'll check in again soon. ideally I'll have some product review for you cats...!

take it light and keep it grooving,

from the low end,

Subcontrastew

13. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
  14. hey kboyd,

I'd already signed off by the time you posted, sorry. last night's show was nothing to write home about, but the rig sounded HUGE (much to the dismay of the guitar player in heavy wank mode!).

on Wednesday we'll be playing all night at the Hi-Ho Lounge. it should be fun. I hope to see you there!

from the low end,

Stew

15. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it sounded HUGE? come on stew...quit teasing us...tell us how you really feel about it. hee hee

16. hey, man!

long time, no hear! how've you been?

yeah, the Grande lives up to its name and then some: AWESOME!!

as I wrote before, the Wednesday night gig should really give me a chance to hear the true DEPTH of his bad boy. I wish you could be there to check it out...

maybe Greg and I can get the touring started this summer/fall and you can hear the fearsome Wall of Whappo and the sheer ugliness that is 17 strings of bass!

hope all's well, man. take care and take it light,

from the low end,

Stew

17. Gregory Bruce Campbell

Gregory Bruce Campbell

Apr 14, 2002
    Helena, MT U.S.A 59602
    BEE basses, Morley pedals
    Someone mentioned the "PRICE"... compared to other cabs...

i do know that the accu groove price is directy related to the components and research that goes into it...

unlike other companies...

i have a feeling that if accu groove used the pricing formulas of other popular companies, no one would be able to afford them because after playing my pair of El Whappos for getting close to a year now, i can definately tell you that the sound of these cabs is worth millions! ;)

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

everything is great over here, man....i hope i can make it out to see you guys...and of course the ugliness of 17 strings....sweet jesus!

19. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    greg! what's up!?

20. hey all,

sorry it took me so long to get back, but I've had a busy few days!

the Wednesday night (aside from the flakiness of my guitarist and drummer) was a blast. the Whappo Grande generated almost as much enthusiastic response from its awesome appearance as it did from its ability to generate earth-shaking lowness!

I'm a little scared though after talking with Mark Wright yesterday: he thinks there's a way for me to more efficiently use my rig and get twice the power and several times the flexibilty!!

New Orleans could be in for some truly disturbing seismic activity...!

from the deepest lows,

Stew