Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

gettin some more punch out of my J bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by apoodangle, Dec 12, 2003.

1. i have a J bass and i'd like to have a little more punch, it just kinda sits there and growls. any pickup suggestions or other mods? it's an SX so i have no problem doing wierd **** to it

2. Get a J-Retro, and then tell me how it fits and sound in your SX so I know what it'll do for mine! :bassist:

But really, so far, I've installed some deep-wound Bart J's and it really warms my fretless up!

**EDIT** I also noticed a HUGE difference in the punch catagory when I installed a Bad Ass II bridge on my MIM P-bass.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    You have a PM! :D

4. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I noticed that too, but for my Jazz. I really like the BA II.

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you want punch, sell the jazz, and get a P or a ray.

6. Stainless Steel strings.

And amp EQing.

7. AA63

AA63

Dec 2, 2003
    Montreal, Canada
    Two words:

Sadowsky.

Buy the pups and the pre-amp.

Enjoy.

AA

8. Totally agree. Easiest ways of adding punch ever.

9. I second this suggestion.

Photo, courtesy of Nino.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

10. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    The cheapest mod one can do to a jazz bass. Punchier and louder.

If you have soldering skills (and the proper equipment, of course), it will only cost you about 8usd :hyper:

11. but i don't like the big chunky P bass necks.

sounds like a good idea PC... i'm guessing i need an SPDT switch for this. i can find a wiring diagram for it online too, unless you know of a really good one. the only problem is that if i want the same control configuration i'll have to buy a stacked pot.

as for the onboard preamp, i'm not about to spend $200 for something my amp does for me.

12. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Really? I always thought the J had THE most punch ou of those (from the basses I owned and played):)

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

Get the Sadowsky preamp/DI pedal. No mods to your bass, punch for days. You'll use it with all your basses!!

Rob

14. i added a p pickup between the two j's, so now my bass has 3 pickups.i can get alot of sounds out of it.

could i wire my bass for Series/Parallel . i was think i could do that for the two j's. isnt there someing thing u can do to humbuckers i think a coil tap.

15. If you need a push/pull tone pot, I have one! Its actually installed right now on my SX, but I think I'm gonna go for that J-Retro, so as soon as I buy that, I'll unsolder the push/pull pot and it'll be yours for about $5. Hows that sound?

16. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Squier pbasses and OLP rays don't count. :p :D

17. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Typically, one chooses a certain style of bass, with certain pickups for a certain sound. Some choose the MM style for punch and slap. Some choose the Precision for beefy low end and midrange bark, and some choose the Jazz for .....
    PUNCH. If your Jazz doesnt have punch on its own, changing the pickups wont help, punch is in the bass. Adding a Badass or similar bridge will increase some sustain and the mass will definitely add beef to your tone, but yet, still not much punch. The Sadowsky preamps and pickups are awesome, I have a Sadowsky 5, and an outboard Sadowsky preamp and swear by them, but still, the basses I have seem to have punch on their own. You can hear it acoustically. Maybe your action is too low, try adjusting the action a little higher. Get a pro setup, you may need a shim in under the neck to get the correct feel. One last note. I just put Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs in my Fender Hwy 1 Jazz, and installed a Badass II bridge, it didnt add punch, but it did accentuate the natural punch that my bass has, not to mention giving me a more vintage, rootsy tone. Before any debating starts on my comments, let me say, this is simply an opinion formulated from many years of trial and error and personal experience. Also, neck through basses dont punch like a bolt on, but they do increase sustain and enhance tone.

18. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    You have pics?

19. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I'm serious...and no I haven't owned any of the two. I originally had a Stingray, but money got tight and I had to sell it.