getting a 0 tone on 2-3-2-0

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassuser35, Aug 17, 2004.

1. bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    hoping somebody out there can help me on this one. what's the best way to get a solid 0 tone on something like 2-3-2-0
    when the 2-0 is a pull of? do you do it by plucking the string with your left hand on the pull off or is it essentially in the finger strength. thanks for any help you can provide-
  2. Come to think of it, I always sort of pluck the string by pulling my finger off away from the bass and letting go, sounding the string. You can do a pull-off without doing this, but it's quieter and harder to accomplish. You have to really take your finger off of the string very cleanly and purposefully.
  3. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    If you pull-off at a slight angle, your fretting finger will slide on the string a tiny bit and give you the open note...Works for me, anyway.
  4. I find that I get the loudest sound out of a 2p0 or whatever pull-off is by doing it as quickly as possible. The less time you take to actually pull your finger off, the louder it will ring. Takes a bit of practise to get the right feel for it, but it will come.

EDIT: The same goes for hammer-ons as well.

5. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Normally a fast pull-off does the trick, but what I sometimes do is pull of and then after the slur is done hit the last note again.
  6. What I do for open string pull offs is bend the string slightly to increase tension, as you release, the pull off is louder.

Works like a charm, especially on Metallica's Fuel

3p0 0 3p0 0 3p0 etc.
  7. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    it can be a pain to mix open strings and fretted notes and get them sounding even, pull-offs or not... Metallica's 'Creeping Death' has that kind of figure, and I tend to play it 7-8-7-5...

an alternative is to grab the 0 as a 5 on the string below with your little finger (pinkie for all our American friends :) ) and practice until you get it even enough to sound as smooth as a pull-off

if it absolutely must be a pull-off, you can always reinforce the note a little by picking/plucking lightly with your right, so it still sounds enough like a pull-off but not too weak..

the trouble with 3-2-0 is that in a lot of circumstances, you'd pull off the 3-2 and a. your right hand wouldn't really be in the right place to make another one, and b. you'd compound the 'volume' loss (and you'd be further along than you'd like on the sound envelope's erm... 'decay gradient') from the 1st pull-off :)