Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Dec 23, 2002.

1. MTD Heir Five

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Lakland Skyline 55-01

21 vote(s)
    70.0%
  1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    In about 3 weeks I'm going to be getting my refund check back from college and I'm going to get a new bass. I've had my mind made up for a while on the MTD Heir Five w/ Rosewood fretboard, but I'm starting to have second thoughts and I'm considering a Lakland Skyline 55-01. What are the preferences of other members here? I've never played an MTD, but I have played the Skyline and liked the feel. I'll be ordering from Bass Central since there are a lack of shops around here.

Dirk

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ive played the MTD, and can say it's tone is very good, but ive played the lakland to, and they are some of the greatest basses for the money. some people swear by them, others hate them. I would personaly go with the MTD, even though it might not seem like it, i could, IMO get more tones out of the MTD. And i know what you mean about lack of shops. Fender or Ibanez? Zeaglers or Matts'? Seems like these are the only basses around here!

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I gotta vote for the 55-01... I have had mine for about a year now, and it is my main bass. Plays great, sounds great, the preamp is really nice, although I did upgrade mine to the Bart American preamp. I love the fit and finish on mine, it just seems to be the perfect bass for me. Nice and tight b string, I play it both finger style and with a pick. I don't think that you would be disappointed with it... i haven't been able to play the MTD's, so I can't really give you a comparison...

P@

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    pm- I was just wondering how/where you got the upgraded preamp and how much it cost. I have the 55-01 and I've heard the american preamp makes a nice difference.

5. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Well,

My plan with either bass I get is in the case of the Heir to drop a Pre in there, or with the Lakland get the upgraded pre later when I have more money to spend. I'm more than likely going to get the heir and then get a Lakland 44-02 a little later. That should satisfy my GAS pretty well. Or I could get the Lakland 55-01 and the MTD Saratoga 4 and that would satisfy my GAS too. Oh boy, what am I going to do?

Dirk

6. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I sent it back to Lakland. The bass needed a new pickup anyway, so when they replaced that they swapped out the preamps. I wish I could remember how much it cost, I want to say approx 200$. I was floored when I heard the difference. the am pre really smooths the sound out, but you don't loose the growl. I would suggest it...

P@

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    what a dilemna?! if you are looking at a 44-02, then you might want to think about a 55-02. It sounds like you might cover all the ground you need with a bass like that...

P@

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My Stingray 5 is so fine that I really can't vote in this poll... ;)

9. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I absolutely love laklands. I havn't even tried one until about a week ago. They're amazing. Lots of punch, lots of warmth, very fast neck, and very nicely made too. IMO, they sound like a mix of a Stingray and a Jazz bass, somewhere inbetween those two. They have the Stingray punch with that jazz warmth.

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i am going to bass central to day.
    which lakland where you looking at?
    which color?
    i played the heir 5. it was alright.
    i will try it agian to day for ya and get back to ya.

steve

11. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Lakland Skyline 55-01 is a sweet bass. My next 5 string is gonna be a stain green Spector NS 5 CRFM, with Active EMG USA Pickups with Aguilar OBP-1 18v Active Tone Circuit system. I have seen them selling out for around $1000.00 on E-Bay. that bass lists for $2,199.00. I already have a Stewart Spector USA Neck thru (proto type) model.
    It's sold me to be a Spector Lover. The USA Model's are a bit high in cost. They are truly awesome axe's.

Good luck,

12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    IGNORE THEM DIRK!!! IGNORE THEM!!!! IGNORE THAT NASTY LITTLE "Poll" and get your heir!!!!.....

Oh well. lakland's are pretty nice, after all.

13. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I've decided that I'm going to go ahead and get the Skyline. Partly because I've played the Lakland basses before and really liked the feel. The other reason is because I'm GASing so much for MTD Saratoga 4, but I need to get a 5 first, and it might be stupid, but I don't want to get 2 MTDs at this point in my gear buying spree. Anyway, It's still a few weeks before I'll be ordering it, and I can't wait. I'm also getting my new rig at that time too. Probably might go ahead and spring for the QSC RMX850 tomorrow if they have one in stock at the local store.

Dirk

14. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get a Joe Osborne 5 with a J Retro. You WILL NOT be sorry! These things are amazing! Yeah, yeah, it's not on the poll, but it IS a Lakland Skyline model! :p

15. i voted for the heir....i went down to Bass Central last month with the intention of buying a Lakland. Long story short, the neck on the MTD blew me away. The 44-02 smoked, but between the 5501/5502 and the Heir, the Heir was faster and more comfortable. I have no regrets. Really great bass.