Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a badass II ? Good for me?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BoogieNight, Sep 8, 2001.

1. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    Sorry, I know this must´ve been discussed before but...

I have a MIM jazz with Bartolini single coil passive pickups.
    I´d like it to have a more defined tone when soloing and a more agressive attack when slapping. I´ll not change pickups again (i had stock replaced to EMGs, then to Barts).

Should I get the BadAss II (or other high mass bridge)?!?

Or should I keep stock bridge and go for another pup, active circuit, or bass? (the bridge seems the cheapest option, hehe)

Will I lose some of my loved lowmid bridge growl?? And about the bottom end??

Thanks in advance.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    My bet would be that adding an active EQ will help you more getting that sound.

3. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I say try the BadAss. I put one in a Fender P and it turned it into a different bass -- in a REALLY positive way. TONS more clarity and bite. And not to worry -- the low end stayed!

5. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    yeah thanks...
    I think I´ll go for the Gotoh 201 cause its easyer to find here.

6. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I put a BA II on my jazz and the best description I can think of was that it gave the notes a bell like tone. LIke eli said lots more bite, and lots of sustain. I don't think I sacrificed any low end. However I did notice my jazz gave up some of the woody tone. (low-mid?)

But if you want defined tone and better attack when slapping I think the bridge is the way to go.

7. Murtz

Murtz

Jun 27, 2001
    Well as i was about to post a topic about the BadAss Bridge i cant find it nowhere not in one music shop in my local area (norway :rolleyes: )
    And i cant find it on music friend so i dunno where to get it from suggestions? :(

8. I ordered one at local store last tuesday.. but the dude told me it would take pretty long to get there ( about 2 weeks ) :(

next on my wishlist : DiMarizio's :)

9. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Allodox
    I did the same mods on my jazz bass. The Badass II and the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups. Loved the BAII but was a little disappointed,at first, with the Dimarzio's untill I started playing out with them. At a louder volume you an here the differences.

I play at a church now through a P.A. and everyone tells me, unsolicited, what a great tone I have.

Cheers

10. Hey man..

Is it a pain in the butt to make the dents in the bridge ? and how about the DiMarizio's ? i heard you have to chip the woodwork to fit them :(

11. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I haven't put the grooves in yet. I quess I'm lazy. I also haven't had any problems with the bridge. So I leaving it alone.
    In the MIM jazz the pickup cavities are the same size. If you have the MIM jazz bass you might have to shave some wood out of one of the pickup cavities.I think it's the bridge pickup, but I forget . In the MIJ jazz ,which I have, or the MIA jazz there is no problem with the size of the pickup and the cavity.

12. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    funny... I 've had two BadAss II bridges, and not KNOWING that you were "supposed to" put grooves in the saddles, I never did... and never had a bit of trouble. Unless you call realizing that the strings were slightly off center once in a while and moving them back with a shove of the thumb "trouble".

You do have to research pickup sets when doing J replacements. Everybody goes by the overall length of each pickup, so just measure them both, then ask the seller what size are the ones he's selling. If any bass has two of the same size, then it's most likely the longer or bridge PU size. I'm pretty sure most manufacurers offer enough permutations of models that you shouldn't have to mess with the body wood to get them to fit. (By the way, it's not JUST the length -- the screw holes are also in different locations, but they're pretty close so you run the risk of making a huge hole NO screw will hold in.) And if you do have to buy two bridge models to fit your bass, be sure one of them is reverse wound to get the hum cancelling.

13. Filing(sp?) the grooves is a piece of cake. Just get a rat tail file and some wet dry 600 sand paper and your set. File the grooves and then smooth them out with the sand paper. It's really easy. Just ask yourself. "Will the string be damaged if I place it in there?" And your set. I found a BadAss 2 also saves me money on strings. They sound bright for much longer. But when they wear out....ooohhhh. Better have some cash ready.

14. I did the BA2 and Dimarzio's with excellent results. The middle Korean Squier Jazz has original bridge and Dimarzio DP123's, and the left Mexi has BA2 and Dimarzio DP123's. I love them both, and will eventually go Gotoh 201 on the Korean. Notches on the BA2 are no big deal. 15 minutes with a small rat tail fine available at Radio Shack. Slight wood chiseling in the "hey we'll save money if we put a neck pickup in the bridge position" bridge-pickup route for the standard length of the Dimarzio bridge pickup, pickup mounting screw holes were close enough on both basses to re-use for the Dimarzio's, slight filing on the pickguard for the neck pickup mounts to fit into the pickguard cutout, make sure and clear out enough wood to the bridge pickup route wire exit hole, so the thicker and beefier DP123's don't pinch and cut the wires against a sharp edge anywhere, twist all your leads into one bundle coming from each individual pickup all the way into the control cavity, and do all your soldering there, noise free without shielding by twisting the wires. Hopefully you can kinda visualize what I'm talking about on all this, and if you do the surgery, you'll see exactly what I mean. :D I love these cheapies. I dig both of the basses, and rarely play the Rick anymore.

[​IMG]

Chris