getting a bass setup by a shop

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hgupta, Jun 5, 2002.

1. hgupta

Jun 5, 2002
    One of my friends recommends that I get my bass checked out and setup correctly each year by a professional. What exactly does this entail that I can't do at home? How long does it usually take, and what is a reasonable cost?
  2. try more like 4 times a year (depending on where you live and humidity)
    but a tech can do a bunch of stuff that you cant do at home....
    like level the frets if need be...

but he will A) tweak the truss rod, B) tweak saddle height C) tweak pu height and then anything else that needs to be done to get your axe into tip top playing condtion

i would expect to pay no less that 25 and no more that 65... but some stores probably charge a whole lot more but yoru paying for their reputation.
  3. hgupta

Jun 5, 2002
    I guess its probably worth a try then. How long does it ususally take, and how do I find a good tech?
  4. ask your muscian buddies (the dreaded guitarplayers) where they get their setups done and if they liked what they recieved.

ive never had mine pro set up.. but im guessing anywhere from 30 min to 1 1/2 hrs would be the normal...
  5. I live by the rule... if there's nothing wrong with it, don't tweak it.

i've had my bass setup once, and that was two months after i bought it. I keep an eye on my truss rod when i change strings, haven't had to "tweak it" yet. Had the bass 4 years. I adjusted the action myself but only because i am picky.

If it plays ok, if it takes the weather changes ok.. i mean look if you don't like the weather, then neither does your bass, if its in your room the whole time where the temperature is comfortable, then setup changes are minimal. It only changes drastically if you leave it in a cold store room for a while, bring it inside and shift it from different temperature to different temperature.

Do it maybe once for peace of mind, then save your money to buy strings or save up and get an amp i say!

Plus this is a Setup forum, got a question about setting up your own bass... come in here.

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm not to sure about that. Once you make adjustments you need to wait a while to let the instrument settle in. What feels good right after the adjustments are made can feel different the next day. Just my opinion. :)