1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a bass to keep at work, some questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Balog, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    With the new kiddo and a house that is seemingly bent on self destruction I don't get much if any time to practice at home. So I'm hoping to grab a bass and a little rig (headphone amp maybe?) To practice with on my lunch at work. But I have a few questions first...

My main bass is an Ibanez SRX 500, a 34" scale with 24 frets. If I get something significantly different in terms of neck profile, number of frets etc will that inhibit the skill transfer when I goto play with my regular rig? Or should I deliberately get something different to expand my pallette and increase versatility?

Another issue is cost and durability. I'll be funding this by scrounging gear to sell (see above re new baby and suicidal house fixtures) and that budget is frankly going to be low. And when you add in the accessories (new gig bag/strings/cable/amp or headphone amp etc) there isn't much left for the bass. And since I won't have a truly secure place to store it, I expect at least some initial whaling away on it from my co-workers when I'm not around. Tone is frankly not my first priority, obviously I want it to sound as good as possible but just being able to work on my timing/groove etc is of more importance than adoring my sound.

2. Garret Graves

Garret Graves website- ggbassplayer.com Gold Supporting Member

May 20, 2010
    Arcadia, Ca
    I vote that you get something different, with the idea that you will be able to hit your main bass here and there anyway at home. As long as you are able to keep your main player in your hands every week for a few hours, it shouldn't feel like a stranger when you get to it. Get a pawn shop special such as a Squier Affinity for around a hundred bucks or less on Craig's list. That way you won't care if someone bangs it around anyway. Good luck, and congrats on the baby!

3. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Why not just use your main player and invest in a luggage padlock and a gig bag with two zippers? Or, if you're skipping on a new bass, you could get a nice hard case that locks.

4. ics1974

ics1974

Apr 13, 2012
  5. bassplar

bassplar

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I just picked up an Aria Sinsonido off eBay for $350 shipped. Love it so far. Its only about 4 lbs. or so, so it is super easy to drag with me everywhere to squeeze in a little bit of practice time. Going to put it into this case: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-BD470-45

A headphone amp is gonna run $40 to $100 I'd say, I'd rather put it into a nicer instrument.

6. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    I did the same thing. I bought a cheapie Squier Bronco to keep at my office. I then learned that a single coil pickup plus an office full of fluorescent tube lighting equals hum, so my cheapie bronco changed into a less cheapie Mustang/short P-bass clone thing. I'm debating on adding a J pickup at the bridge to get more tone, but I'd have to work out how to keep it from humming again.
    Currently, I just run mine through my computer at work. I built a little buffer adapter and it sounds decent. Plus I can play backing tracks or whatever through my headphones and not bother everybody w/ my poor playing.

So, my advice, get something inexpensive, but with hum cancelling properties.

7. bassplar

bassplar

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL
  8. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    I take the bus to work. This involves either a mile/mile and a half walk and waiting around without cover (often in the rain this being WA) or car pooling with a friend in a tiiinnnnyyyyyy little car to the park and ride. Not to mention man handling a big ole hard case on a crowded bus... Lugging it around is not a real practical option. :)

I really appreciate the ideas and suggestions everyone, keep 'em coming!

9. bassplar

bassplar

Jun 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    My next gig bag will be a monobag. Supposed to be completely waterproof.

10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    ...compared to now, when you're not playing anything? No!

11. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    That is an excellent point... :D

12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'd like to get a bass for days students show up really late or when we have to stick around for a late meeting

13. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I use an Affinity P-Bass I got used for 50 bucks and Vox AC1 RhythmVox bass for at lunch practice. I use the RhythmVox as a headphone amp and its many drumbeat patterns to help with my timing. The Tascam should perform pretty much the same function.
    Quite frankly, any cheapie bass in decent playing shape will do. My main bass has a jazz neck and practicing on the clunkier Affinity P-Neck means when I go back to my regular bass the neck feels like lightning :D

14. Do you use all 24 of those frets?

15. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Once you decide on a bass for work, you might also pick up a used Line 6 Bass Pod...works great with headphones.

16. Balog

Balog

Mar 19, 2009
    Mukilteo, WA
    Not at all, just worried that getting used to less frets on the same scale neck would build bad muscle memory for the spacing.

17. ian_s

ian_s

Jul 10, 2009
    I keep a bass at work, my Hohner B2B headless which was quite inexpensive. I have a small rig (GK MB200 and Ampeg 210) but am going to sell that and go just headphones.

Convenience is the key. Should be easy to grab, easy to put down.

18. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    It won't do anything if you never go past the 20th fret.

And I couldn't have a bass at my office ... I wouldn't work, I would want to play all day long.

A would stay in the same brand just to have the same neck profile, if neck profile doesn,t bother you then a dirt cheap bass would do the trick.

19. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I guess this is where I chime in with the SX bass endorsement. For your purposes it seems your can get a servicable bass between 100-140. If you buy it used its even less...

20. +1 to the Vox bass headphone amp, little thing works great. Kinda compresses you a bit, but meh, it works.
    Squier Matt Freeman P bass also rocks, as far as I can tell it's basically a classic vibe in black with a maple neck, great travel bass.
    And 34" scale is 34" scale. Even if your other has more frets.