1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a bass to learn on...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Murmaider, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Murmaider

Murmaider

Oct 20, 2013
    I picked an ESP LTD B-55 5 string to learn on.
    I was wondering if this was a bad idea (haven't gotten it yet)?

I'm into metal and I'm a rhythmic person (never wanted to play lead, I've been playing guitar for 4-5 years self taught), Alex Webster in particular made me realize how much more fun bass looks than guitar does.

Anyways, is it a bad idea to get a 5-string to learn on instead of a standard 4-string? I figured I'll eventually get a 5 string anyways because that's what I want to play, so I figured it wouldn't be too big of a deal to just start on a 5 string and save money instead of buying a 4 and upgrading later to a 5, then having to get reaccustomed to a 5.

But yeah, is this a good idea? I'm a completely new beginner to bass. I'm buying Alex Webster's book on bass too as a guide to help me teach myself, and I know a guy who could teach me if I asked.

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You're fine. There are some "purists" around who insist that all basses must have four strings, and there are some who seem to think that a fifth string makes the instrument horribly horribly complicated and beginners should flee from it. Neither makes any sense. Guitarists deal with SIX strings, and somehow they seem to manage, as you already know. You'll be fine. Enjoy your bass!

3. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    I learned on a 5. Own two now. Have never owned or gigged a 4. I've been playing roughly 15 years now, I do approximately 36-40 shows a year, and not a single one has had a 4 string involved.

Carry on my friend. Carry on.

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    If a fiver is what you have set your heart on then go for it. :bassist:

5. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I always wanted to play 6 string bass, so my first bass was a six string. Go for it