Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a Bongo - but which pickup config? HH or HS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deaj, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I've been auditioning basses looking for a second 4 string bass - something that offers alot of flexibility and very different tones to work with than my Roscoe. After playing just about every production bass (and many custom basses) available in the Seattle metro the Ernie Ball Music Man Bongo is the clear winner. Man, I really wanted to not like this bass.... :crying:

I've had the opportunity to play both the HH and HS pickup and I like both. I haven't been able to test them side by side, however, as no one in town has both. I don't play slap so I'm not concerned about the cramped quarters around the neck pickup. Currently I'm leaning towards the HH but that's because I played that configuration last. But just after playing the HS I was leaning in that direction. Before that I played the HH and I was leaning in that direction. I could probably go back and forth like this forever as they both sound great and offer alot of flexibility.

My question for the Bongo owners is: Which P/U configuration did you choose and why?

Thanks!
    Deaj

2. HH. Fatty tone, giant range of tone.

3. I have a Bongo four string and like yourself I don't slap with it. But let me tell you the HH configuration takes a great bass and transforms it into an absolute monster. I have a Stingray and the Bongo eats it for lunch. That surprised me all to bits. I still love my Stingray but now prefer my Bongo! It sounds huge. I have not heard bottom like that in quite a while. HH is my preference.

Chris

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I have both configs but prefer the HH setup.

The single coil neck pickup is certainly a "polite" sort of MM pickup, though, and some people might like that approach.

Not me. I like tone that makes old people cry.

5. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I think this statement helped alot. I can do smooth and 'polite' with the Roscoe. I did notice that the HH was 'more fun' to play when panned towards the neck - more punch there than with the single coil. I'm definitely leaning hard towards the HH config.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think HH is classic Bongo now. When i think of bongo, i think HH.

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
  8. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Thanks for the feedback. I called Bass Central this morning and purchased a new white 4 string Bongo HH with a white pearloid pickguard. Also purchased the factory hard shell case.

WooHoo!!! :hyper:

I'll post picks when it arrives next week.

Thanks again! :bassist:
    Deaj

9. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I have an HH and really like it. However, I haven't played an HS yet...

10. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    You mean Ernie Ball finally started making a case for the Bongo? awesome

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Yup, the official Bongo case is now available.

12. picknslap

picknslap

Sep 9, 2004
    Manteca
    well, now I'm going to get one the first chance I get. (my first chance won't be for quite a while :crying: )

13. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Hell, me either. I have four of the things and nary a case to be seen.

14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Congrats on your new Bongo. I have both HHP and SCHP config Bongos, and I prefer the HH setup for fretted. My main tone out of the Bongo consists of the neck humbucker soloed with a little bit of piezo added, and the treble cut a bit. Perfect tone for filling up some space underneath a guitar solo.

And, you got one of the last available white Bongos, too. I'm curious to see how well the neck color matches the body color on your Bongo when it arrives. They are no longer making white Bongos as a result of the difficulty in matching the curtains to the carpet, as it were. :D

I love my white Bongo, and I think they look great with the white pearl pickguard (even though I went with abalone). Be sure to post pics when it arrives!

15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have the five-string version of the bass you just bought. An awesome choice!

16. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    Well, I received the new Bongo. Here are a couple of pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It just smokes. What a great sounding instrument!

Woohoo!!!! :hyper: