1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting a computer

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Hobbes, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Hey people. I'll be getting a computer pretty soon, with recording being the main purpose (also getting Digi001 Protools). However, when I was looking around I noticed you can get computers with either SDRAM, DDR RAM or RDRAM. I already know that I want 256Mb of RAM, but was wondering whether any of these different types are more/less suited for recording audio than others. Any info anyone can give is greatly appreciated.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SDRAM is "synchronous dynamic random access memory"
    DDR is "Double data rate synchronous dynamic random access memory"
    RDRAM is "Rambus dynamic random access memory"

what does this all mean? buy the fastest CPU and motherboard (or system if you're not building it yourself) and get the kind it needs :)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't worry too much about ram speeds, there are so many bottlenecks in the system it wont really matter.
    Mind you, the motherboard chipset will most likely determine the kind of ram you'll have to use anyway.

256 MB isn't much nowadays, especially for DAW purposes. 512 or more are the way to go, especially when using Windows XP. 768 or more is better.
    This will give you more speed boost than faster ram.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Are you sure? With the fast systems nowadays, the RAM can absolutely be a bottleneck.

Seen the test on Tom's Hardware Guide where they compared RAM speeds? With specific tasks (namely MP3 encoding), there could be a speed increase of 50% from the slowest to the fastest RAM chips. The tests were all done on the same machine, the only thing that differed was the RAM type.

As for how much of a perfomance increase this would give in a DAW, I don't know... probably not near as much. So I'd follow JMX's advice anyway - instead of buying 256 MB of expensive RAM, get 512 (or more) of the cheaper. Or even better, 512 of the expensive kind. ;)

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, you're basically right.
    I was writing this with an article on DDR400 ram (VIA KT 400 chipset) in mind.

6. Gulice

Gulice

Sep 13, 2002
    OK computers*phew* one thing i know about.... ram yes sd ram has a megahurtz speed of usually 133... ddr anywhere from 266 (ddr2100) to 400(what u were reading about) Rdram is worthless because most motherboards have an fsb of about 100mhz fro pentiums and cant even use the full 800 mhz ram speed... in which case id reccomend some cheaper ddr about 512-786 is all u need
    no 768 mb of ram in sd ram is not gonna be close to 512 mb of ddr ram

7. Thanks for the advice everyone. I ordered the computer yesterday, it's a P4 2.53GHz, with 384Mb RDRAM (might upgrade this to 512 later on if it looks like it needs it), 40Gb 7200rpm HD (going to buy another HD as well). I'm also buying my mate's Digi001 Protools, can't wait to have a blast on it. Anyhow, cheers again for the input.

8. RDRAM, while fast, is technically "outdated" because it's very expensive and the performance gain is marginal. In fact, the big companies are dumping it on more developing countries (in Asia especially) because no one here wants to buy it.