Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting a crackle from my amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, Aug 14, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    In the past couple of days, I've noticed a fairly loud crackle when I move around with my bass. I've played my Lakland through my GK rig, and the Fender Bassman 400, I've tried changing cables. I took it to the shop, thinking it might be the bass, and they said it wasn't. In fact it played fine there. So anyone got any clues. It only happens when I move around, maybe a foot or two. It seems like it has something to do with the cable, but it couldn't be, as I've tried it with three different cables, two of which are brand new. Anyone got some advice to help me out. Any chance a Boss NS-2 would help me out?

~Patrick

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it's the bass or the cable
    there's no super voodoo that all of a sudden makes all of your amps know when you are moving

3. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California

It's most likely your jack. If you havn't tried this already do so. When you play let the cable pass through your strap from behind the bass, the plug in your cable into the bass. This way there will be less tension on the output jack. If you have problems with my instructions (maybe you will) PM me and i'll walk you through it.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've wrapped the cable behind the strap. I actually just had the jack fixed a day or so ago, but now its acting like this. Should I just have it replaced?

~Patrick

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'd just have it replaced then, it would be no harm. Plus, it'll probably be better than the stock jack.

6. they shoulda figured this one at the shop if thats whats goin on but theres a chance it could just be some sort of dirt or dust of grunge in you jack try blowin in it and check it out with a light to see if there is any grunge in it shouldnt be but worth a check.