Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a custom bass made

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PUNXBASS, Jan 14, 2006.

1. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    hey yall, i am getting me a custom bass made by a friend. Watned your input. Our idea was: 1975 Fender P bass body with Bartoloni active pickups. Bad ass 2 bridge, hipshot D tuners. The body is a black and white offset checker board pattern that wraps around the whole body to the back. the head stock is gonna have the same off set checked look.

The neck: We wanted to do a left-handed Fender P neck, but then we thought how the hell will this work so i can string it GDAE. Any suggestions?

We are gonna do the neck all black, with white trapezoid inlays.
    Diamond plated pick gaurd.

*starts filling out a stack of Job Applacations*

suggestsions, comments please?!:bassist:

2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Sounds like its going to look very punk and whatnot. The look will die in 5 years and you might feel kinda stupid. Whats with the stringing/neck? Is there a reason?

3. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    Im not in it for the look man. Punks been aronud since the 60's and its what i like. I have never seen anyone with an upside down head stock and thought its somthing original to try. Somthing u dont see every day. GDAE is standered stringing if im not mistaken...

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    gdae would be hard to play. i wouldn't sacrifice that much playability no matter how cool it looked.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    You mean EADG right? When talking about tuning, you normally go from low to high.

And about the upside down neck: Timmy C does it on his basses that he tunes BEAD because he thinks it makes the B string tighter. Pics:

[​IMG]

6. yeah, tim and mike pope

7. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    that looks freakin awesome. any suggestions on how to make it work? or should it just flip around and be fine?

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Get a left handed neck. You can't just flip it around or you'd be fretting the back of the neck.

9. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    right, i meant just get a left handed neck not just flip it around. Sorry. Long day and ive got a bit of anxiousness in me (giong to see Aerosmith tomorrow). Shuold i still be able to string it EADG?

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yes sir, you will. You MIGHT need a new nut though. The reason why is that you'll be stringing an E string through a G string hole (LOLZZZZZZZZZZZ I SAID G STRING,) an A through a D, a D through A, and a G through an E.

11. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    As long as you cut the nut accordingly, I would think all would be right....or left in this case :smug:

12. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    :rolleyes: no matter how long the string is, you have to bring it to the same tension in order to be in tune. As far as I know, the only solution is higher gauge strings.

13. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    ok, thanks for the help so far. Now a few Q's. New to the whole building a bass. Who or what copmany will put my finished design on my bass? Who is a good copmany to get my neck from. I cant find any black left handed necks.

thanks,
    JJ

14. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    #1 use the search feature.

#2 maybe try the luthier's corner.

15. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    thanks.

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    You could try www.warmoth.com for your neck. I am sure they will put any finish you want on a neck.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll bet Pat Wilkins could do it. You can see his work by looking at Sadowsky, Lakland and Lull basses.

Wilkins Guitars

18. PUNXBASS

PUNXBASS

Apr 23, 2005
    thanks alot. Big help. cant wait to finish it. I also think im going wiht EMG's instead of Barts.