Getting a decent amp..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BoomBoy, Apr 3, 2005.

1. BoomBoy

Apr 1, 2005
    Ok guys, first post, here goes..

Right.. been playing for quite some time now. How any bassist can manage without a decent amp for this long (5(ish) years) is beyond me.

Bottom line, I'm a decent bassist but I'm fairly clueless about gear. Got fairly good bass, neck through body. For the money, don't think I could have gotten a better bass. Have had a few very good bassists play it just to confirm it's not just my imagination..

That leaves me to find something to play it on. At the moment constantly get #&!¤€@ off when the amp I rent turns out to be a piece of excrement or buggered up in some other way.

Getting to the point. Looking for a head, something in the price range of an Ashdown Mag 300 or a Hartke HA2000 (that's about £250+ in the UK). Any suggestions? Going used is not a problem apart from actually finding the gear I want.

Looking for a good allaround amp. The music we play ranges from funky to jazzy to britpoppy/indieish (dont really like that term) to folky to hardcore. Quite a messed up mix. Drums, bass, two guitars and trumpet (and vocals).

Priorities: gotta have enough power (practice, small gigs), portability (most decent combos are just too cumbersome, rather have a head and cab), a sound I like (I will naturally try out any amp before buying)

After that, obviously need a decent cab to go with it. Thinking about starting with a lightweight 2x10" and then adding a 15" when I can afford. Suggestions on that also greatly appreciated. Remember I'm in the UK, so only gear available here (ie. no Avatar, haven't seen Schroeder either, but if anyone can prove me wrong..).

Already learned a lot from this forum, think I've found my home..
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here try this thread
    another UK user just posed the same question a day or so ago.
  3. BoomBoy

Apr 1, 2005
    Thanks, I realise a lot of people are looking for the same thing.

I'm hoping to get comments on is the character of the amps, not just looking for the "best" amp for what I'm willing to splash out.

How does the sound work for you and your style of music?

I've tried some Trace Elliot amps and while the sound is really nice, I'm not sure if the sound is right for our kind of music. Of course I will make my own decision in the end, but is a Mag 300 a good funk amp for example? When looking on the Ashdown site most of the artists I recognise that use their gear are playing rock sort of stuff.