Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a decent sound in a concrete room?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MaHei, Jul 3, 2005.

1. How do you deal with this type of room at a gig? Mid sized room, box shape, bare concrete floors and walls; little dampening even with the crowd present --> pronounced clicky highs from the reflections, tolerable mids but indistinct bass. Boosting bass seems to make things worse.

I have gigged many such rooms and I thought I'd ask my fellow TBers for advice, I know many of you have experience running PAs and recording.

Do you cut the bass and boost the low mids? Do you look for a specific mid frequency to cut?

Your advice is appreciated.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Definitely cut the bass. But don't make it tinny. I would emphasize hi mids more than low mids to give it more definition. No specific freq to cut since we're not there and we don't know, but boosting the bass and low mids usually makes things worse in a room like that.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That is a nightmare room. You surely don't need to run any reverb in there. Control your volume, too. You'll have so many reflections, it'll sound like mush.

4. Sometimes a variable Q parametric can cut that one freq that the room lives to magnify, but there's generally no way to get a great sound in that situation. Need one with variable bandwidth to minimize the effect on adjoining freqs. Generally 7-9 band bass graphics aren't tight enough to take that one freq out without affecting the tone, they're tone shaping tools not notch filters. 31 band might work if it happens to have a slider in the right place.

Randy

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I played a gig in an emptied out house, the accoustics were horrible but my bass was sh8t loud=) We were playing prog metal so the overpowering boom was just right.