Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting A Fender Jazz V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by action510, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Hey guys, I just wanted to tell you complete and total strangers that Im getting a 2002 Fender Std. Jazz Bass fiver for Christmas this year! Woohoooooo 14 days and counting down. Anyway, if anyone reading this has this type of guitar or any Fender Jazz- how do you like it? What don't you like? Whats a good string/ pickup/ amp setup for this bass? or anyhting else whatever

UPDATE: one guy asked for pictures...so here it is! i have no problem with the b string and with my new 75 watt peavey amp, it sounds sooo hella good

2. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    Oh, hey, im a new member on here. I read a lot of the posts for a while and finally resigstered.

Im looking foward to getting a 4 string standard j-bass, and no other finish but sunburst...

3. oh yeah i play one of those in the shop their nice but i want that low b string

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    jazz basses rock. i haven't owned one in quite some time but i used to use rotosound swingbass on them. I liked the combination.

5. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    Im still learning stuff, so i really dont think a B string would benefit me too much...

6. its just a matter of opinion ...when i was just learning i wanted to just stick to a four but now that im more experienced i want that fifth string... but do whatever you want its your guitar fender jazzes are nice anyway

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have the Made In USA version of that bass and I love it.

8. I have an american jazz V FMT - i almost sold it, but am glad I didnt. Sounds great through my Eden rig, and even better when used for recording. I use TI Powerbass strings.

Have a nice XMas - rock the neighbors.

9. thanks for all your responses- ive heard some bad but many good things about fender. but one more thing- have any of you had a problem with the b string? i heard alot of bad about the string

10. Its not as good as the B string on my Spector, which is why the Spector is my main bass. However, I tune down a full step, and the Spector is a longer scale too. I tend to play pretty hard with my fingers, and the Fender can get quite floppy in my situation. When I record, I play easier (well I try to :) so its not as big of an issue.

That being said, if I had to buy another 5-string, it wouldn't be a Fender. But I'll keep the one I have.

11. ok thanks

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I don't have a problem with the B string on mine. If you play with a light touch you'll do well. If you tend to "dig in" a lot it will probably not be as good.

That's a general truth for all basses all strings IMO.

13. "not as good?" well, um, you get totally different sounds when you dig in. So if you need that sound for a certain part of a song, than its even better!

My Spector sounds fabulous when i dig into it.

14. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I have a MIM Jazz V (01 model) and really like it. I am putting some bartolini's in this weekend. I wanted something with a bit more bite/growl. It's strung right now with Elixer Poly-webs that really sound great. I'll probably replace them with some nickle Rotosounds after I put the new pickups in. :D

15. I have the American version of that bass. Looks exactly the same except it's black with a red/black pickguard and maple fretboard. I absolutely love the tone. It plays very well and the neck is oh so smooth. You will love it.

16. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I've had mine for a couple months now and have had time to get aquainted with it. I love it. Admittedly, it's my first 5'er, so i'm not the best person to give comparisons to other 5 stringers. But, I do know that I love this bass. It sounds fantastic and I haven't had any problems with my B string. The neck is fast and plays beautifully. Like I said, this is my first 5 and it didn't take me long to feel at home with this bass. You'll love it.
    Check mine out. It's (obviously) the one on the right. Post a pic when you get yours.

17. alright i will and thanks for all the responses...its the 14th... 11 more days

18. well up until a few weeks ago I had a tobacco sunburst 5 jazz. It sat in the case ever since I got my first Pedulla, so I traded it in on..........another Pedulla.

It was a nice bass, but it just wasn't me.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You will find that it essentially rules.

20. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I have an earlier FSJBV (not sure which year). Fender has revamped the Standard line since last year, so the stock J-bass should be fine. My Standard has more Jazz tone than my Deluxe, if that means anything. I use Fender 8250 strings (so far so good). The string spacing could be just a bit wider for my big hands, but that's okay. Have fun with it!