Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by noplayer, Jul 11, 2005.

1. noplayer

noplayer

Jul 11, 2005
    Newbie here at playin and the forums. (First Post)

I been playin and taking lessons for about 6 months. My uncle visited and said he would give me his old bass. Its like a 77 or something jazz. I want it real bad cause my bass S**ks. He said i could have it but I couldnt sell it. He said it looks like a Marcus Miller that I see in the mags. He said the got it new in 77.

Is this really worth a lot of money? cause my folks told him not to give it to me.

Just wonderin. I'll try to get more info on it tonight.

Thanks

He said he bought it new in August of 77 at GC SN S738847
    Its Maple/ash says it's pretty heavy ( does that change the value?) It's like new almost only light scratches on the back no gouges. (He got married and put it away)

Guys Thanks for your words.. I don't think I want to take it... but I wana play it for a while and give it back.. Your right he's worth more than the bass.

$1000 to $2000 ????? :eek:
    How can I find out how much its worth to tell him?

2. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    it's most likely worth some bucks. See if you can get the serial number and date it on the Fender site.
    Bazz

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Of course, 'lots of money' is subjective...but in this case, yes, it's probably worth lots of money. Probably in the 1000-2000 range...depending on condition and year.

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If it's in good condition, you will have a very nice bass indeed. One that you should RESPECT and TAKE CARE OF. *hint*

5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    despite the money value,the real value is in your uncle heart.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If he's willing to give it to you, take it, respect it, love it and groove. It may be worth a grand or more to a collector, but it's worth an uncle's love. Which is worth more to you?

7. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    nice Uncle

how does this bass play? tone? is it a heavy or fairly lightweight model? what condition is it in? you may have a real nice bass on your hands

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1
    Well put.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    noplayer, this is a wonderful gift your uncle is giving you. Be very careful with such a valuable bass. In time, you may want to get a cheaper bass to take out to gigs because a '77 Fender will make a thief's eyes light up like fire.