Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a fingerboard coated with Epoxy

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Whafrodamus, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I am getting my fretless next week and I intend to use Rotosound stainless steel 66ers on the bass.. Why? I'm a rotosound guy. I had them on my ric, warwick, alembic, and most of my other past basses. Other strings dont' do it for me. Now I am in the new england area and was wondering if anyone around here does fingerboard coating? I could send it off to Cali (there are a zillion people who do it there), but that's far away. I want somewhere local-ish. Any recommendations?

I would do it myself if it was a cheaper bass, but it's a Lakland 44-02D fretless.. and I don't want to mess it up :-

2. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    There's two long threads here about doing epoxy. You could send to Thor for a pretty steep price, or you could do it yourself for 30 bucks. Check the thread, i dont think anyone has messed this up. I'm doing mine next week.
    Get a a haircut

3. I've assembled a Jazz for a guy that had the neck done by Thor. It began as a brand new Warmoth lined fretless shipped to Thor and then shipped to me so I was the first to lay hands on it. I can tell you that it was absolutely perfect. No flaws. You could look down the board pointed at a window and not see wiggle one of distortion in the surface. You could bounce a laser of of it. The edges were clean and blended and the end of the board was finished nicely. They even installed and cut the nut. All I did was to install a set of inserts and bolt it up into a Geddy Lee body and it adjusted perfectly within seconds. All I'm gettin at is whatever price they charged, you'll get your money's worth and a guarantee that it'll be correct. Of course this is the Luthier's forum and we're supposed to give our best advice but Thor takes it to a different level than most of us do. Thor's product is the type that is offered as an OEM thing to manufacturers and I think it's superior in every way.

4. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    The Pedulla factory is roughly an hour south of you in Rockland, MA.

5. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston