Getting a First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rogue Knight, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Rogue Knight

Rogue Knight

Feb 17, 2004
    I've always loved listening to funk, classic rock, and jazz, and have always admired the bass players. I'd like to learn to play bass, but I don't really know where to start when it comes to purchasing an instrument.

I've checked out my local music store, and the cheapest bass they have (that comes with an amp) is a 300 dollar Squier kit. I don't exactly have that kind of cash right now, and if I did, there's no way my parents would let me spend 300 dollars on something they're not sure I'll stick with.

I found what looks to be a nice bass set, and it's about one 170 or so with shipping, which I can do.

Rogue SX100B Starter Kit.

That one looks good enough but I would like an opinion and maybe some advice, because I don't really want to end up with a crappy bass.

I also found a few on which look promising:

1Reason 4-string Bass

So as I said earlier, any advice would be extremely helpful, so thanks in advance.
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I would stay away from Rogue if I were you. Especially their cheaper basses.

To be honest with you, I don't think you'll find any bass/amp combo you'll like for much under $300. Bass is, unfortunately, a rather expensive hobby. :(

However, if you would be willing to save up for a while, and could be able to convince your parents to let you spend more, I would suggest taking a look at some of the Essex basses at Rondo Music. I've seen quite a few people rave over how nice they are for the price.

I don't know of any good quality bargain amps though, so hopefully someone else will come along and help you with that. :)
  3. gavintheguy

gavintheguy Guest

Feb 5, 2004
    i am right there with lockout. go for the essex basses, i started electric bass two years ago and recently got a 62' essex pbass. for the money it is a great deal. :bassist:
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Go essex. A good J will be about 150 (including shipping), then you can find yourself a tiny practice amp for about 40-80$. That'll be a much better value than the rogue starter kit.
  5. I am going to head the essex path too! Get a nice Jazz bass from there for around $150 shipped or so (I forgot the prices over there now) and then a little practice amp. I know a lot recommend the Peavey MicrobassIII I believe, might want to look into it. Whatever you do, get a Jazz Bass (aka J Bass) since your main influences are jazz and funk (rock can have Precision bass (P Basses) in it too, depends on what band it is).
  6. I totally agree with the toothless guy. :D
  7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Here's another vote for Essex.
  8. Rogue Knight

Rogue Knight

Feb 17, 2004
    Well those basses certainly look nice, and the price is fit to match. But the only trouble still is to get a P-bass or a J-bass.

While funk and jazz did make me want to play bass, the stuff that I really want to play would be along the lines of Steppenwolf, Bruce Springsteen, Sublime, among others. So what would I need for that kind of music? P-bass or J-bass?

Anyway, thanks a lot. I'm really digging that SXSPB-62, especially in that Lake Placid Blue. I'm going to hit ebay to look for a cheap amp, and I'm going to try and get to the closest Guitar Center tonight if I can, see what I can find there in the way of good deals on amps.
  9. i played the spb62 at rondo (not plugged in) and while im not a fan of fat necks it played nice... my vote is for an sx bass and a used practice amp... you can get a crate bx-15 used on ebay very cheaply, or you could look for a used peavey microbass... people seem to like those amps
  10. Rogue Knight

Rogue Knight

Feb 17, 2004
    I've decided to go with the SPB-62, in Sunburst (a female friend of mine pointed out that it matches just about anything, whereas with the Lake Placid Blue, you need to wear blue - not sure about this, but I was at a guitar store today and looked at several Sunburst basses, and I liked it). So anyway, thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll be asking for more in the future.

Hopefully it gets here by Friday, seeing as it's shipping from instate :bassist: