1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

getting a fretless board smooth

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by uethanian, Jul 11, 2008.

1. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    i defretted a neck, and filled the slots with wood veneer and titebond. but after sanding, some of the veneers look like they have split, or have been dented or torn in the slot. this makes for some small dents and cracks that i want to fill once and for all. i want to avoid using superglue to fill, since i did that on a few and it stained the rosewood. i'm not looking for a hard epoxy type thing either, i want the board to be kept natural. can anyone recommend something?

2. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    BUMPity

3. woodfiller.

4. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    You might want to clean out the affected slots and put in new veneer. I use epoxy to glue in veneer when I fill slots because it fills up the gaps and cracks in the veneer better than wood glue, so they don't break when you sand.

5. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    if the depressions are not very deep, get a sanding block and level the board down just a hair... problem solved!

6. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Beat me to it...

7. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    they're deep enough to catch a fingernail...i dont think it would be worth the trouble to sand it down (plus it would probably create more of these annoying holes, since they're a result of sanding)

the bad thing is, im pretty pleased otherwise with how it feels, so i dont want to do anything major. i'd use wood filler, but when i've used it before on a fretboard, it got chalky and came out during sanding. any suggestions?

8. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    on mine I skipped the veneer completely and just filled the slots with bondo. Seems to be working great. You can't even feel the fretlines on the board.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021