Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a Geddy Lee Jazz tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by irjason, Dec 5, 2005.

1. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'm pretty excited. Tomorrow I am going to get a new Geddy Lee Jazz bass. I always wanted a Jazz. Turns out my brother has a friend that's working at the local Fender dealer, and I'm going to be able to get a pretty good deal on it.
    I kind of fell out of playing for a couple of years. Band I was in broke up, got a real job, and house. Just never was in the mood to play. Now that things are settling back down I'm getting back into it pretty heavy.
    Anyhow, anybody have anything to watch out for on this model? Notice any problems with the one you have? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. MikeM

MikeM

Apr 21, 2004
    Edmonton
    Fret work on mine needed cleaned up

3. nice bass, really fast neck. over all 8/10 id say

lowsound

4. JebusChrist

JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    NYC
    I love my Geddy, got it on ebay second hand, and it plays like butter. Every bassist who has used it or even just seen it complements it. I would suggest putting in some new pickups, mine came with Dimarzio Model J's, and I love them. No buzz at all, even when I solo a pickup or when I max everything out

5. Congrats on the new GL! Pesonally I love the stock pickups....US vintage....sweet. I don't get any hum even when I solo the neck or bridge. My only knock on the bass is the standard tuning machines suck, they felt like there was some play in them. I replaced them with Hipshots. Anyhow....I LOVE this bass. The only thing to watch out for is someone stealing it. Oh....and no case, that sucked.

6. irjason

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks guys. I'm pretty excited to get this thing. I played one a while back and fell in love with it. Hopefully this one will be as nice.

7. I got a nice deal on mine at GC about 4 months ago. Got the bass and an SKB case for $699. I'm sure she'll be fine...Fender Japan is known for high quality instruments...they rival the US models.

8. FenderStripes

FenderStripes

Jun 12, 2005
    Ba Hum Bug! You lucky son of a gun...

I played one at a Guitar Center when I stayed in New York City for a week. I spent a good hour there and I played maybe 10-15 different basses but that Geddy Lee was my favorite by far :)

Have fun with it!

9. ster

ster

Oct 18, 2003
    New Jersey
    I had one a while back and didn't care for it for whatever reason. Then I got another one about 3 months ago and it just kicks a**. It just has the sound. Play it in a band situation and you'll see what I mean. Yeah the tuners feel a little cheap but mine has been staying in tune and the overall fit and finish matches my American Deluxe. Great bass. Good Luck!!!

10. irjason

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks everyone! I picked it up just now. It turned out to be a pretty nice one. I sampled a few of the other Jazz basses they had, and it blew them away IMO. The action is a little high for my taste, but I'm going to take care of that soon enough.
    I ended up getting it with a bag for $650. Of course taxes knoked it right back up to Musicians Friend price, but at least I got to touch it before I bought it. Now I gotta spend some quality time with it. :bassist:

11. *jealous*

and congratulations! I only got to play a Geddy once for a few minutes (guy at the store was buying it, but let me have a go first) and loved it.

12. Congrats! It should easily become one of your most played basses. Did I mention I LOVE mine? oh....... :smug:

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Contratulations. Geddy Lee's are really nice basses. I love the neck. There is nothing like it in that price range.

14. I really love mine, I recently went back to the place I got it to try out amps and used the geddy they had there. My god they had the action super high! It was like playing a completely different bass.

Congrats on the purchase.

15. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    My thoughts exactly bro! I love mine,plays like butter with a great tone. The tuners do have a lot of play and seem to go out of tune after every song. What type of Hipshots did you replace them with? Are there direct replacements for this bass without drilling new holes?

16. Hipshot HB2's are an exact fit...no drilling required although I didn't bother pressing out the stock bushings...no need IMO. They are an immense upgrade....try em' and see. I bought a new set on Ebay for like $60 I think. I have a hard time choosing between my SR5 and the GL....they're both REALLY good at what they do. Decisions...decisions...... :smug:

17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I bought mine from TBer Bikeplate and I love it.

I'm wondering about this too, though. The tuners aren't a huge deal for me, but they bug me a bit sometimes. If I can get replacements that'll drop right in, I'll do it, but it doesn't bother me enough to do any real work on it. :p

18. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Thanks bro!!

19. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Neat. :)

20. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Mine is in the brown truck as we speak..........can't wait to get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!