Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a good Rock and Roll tone ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DreamJazz, Apr 11, 2003.

1. How can I get a really good Rock and Roll tone off my MIA P-bass, its been a long time since I've changed my style and I'm now lost on what settings I should use.

On my amp I have Bass, Treble, Mid and High-Mid. Just wondering if anyone had some good suggestions on getting a really good Riff-Rock tone off this setup ?

Also are there any commonly used effects on bass in rock n roll ?

2. There's been a heck of a lot of Rock and Roll played on a p-bass so I wouldn't worry about your ax. What kind of amp do you have?

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Twist the knobs till it sounds good, dude! It is not brain surgery.

You don't need any effects for rock and roll bass.

4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Boost the bass and treble, cut the mids and high mids, and tweak to taste. I have an MIA P with a Harkte 5000, and the smiley face eq works for me with a classic rock cover band :cool:

5. i just have a yorkville 200W combo

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    doesn't make a diff...just try what i said with the knobs and see what you think.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    "Smiley face" sounds nice when you are just playing alone, but if you drop the mids and are only pushing 200 watts, you will probably really struggle to cut through the mix.

You may not even be able to hear yourself at all. Midrange may sound a little harsh in solo mode, but in a mix, it is a must.

I suggest starting with a flat EQ and making subtle changes to get you where you want to go.

Chas

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I second that recommendation. Start flat and adjust from there. I find that if you make too drastic of changes you find yourself twisting all the knobs willy nilly and never hitting a sound you like.

If you change slowly, I think you will find a sound you like. Also, don't forget that the tone knob on your P bass is going to alter the sound as well.

9. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Unless your pushing alot of power with your amp. I'd stick with boosting up your mids a good amount and then adjust your bass and treble to your taste. Also keep that tone knob cranked on that p-bass to get some good grind in there. With a p-bass you should have no problems fitting in with rock.

10. I play a P sometimes when we do rock stuff. I like to start flat and boost the lows just a little and then I boost the Mids quite a bit. The mids make it "growly" :) . I usually don't boost the highs that much unless I'm getting lost in the mix. Personally (this is just my opinion) I wouldn't cut the mids one bit (unless you play metal).

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I agree with the "turn the knobs until it sounds good" theory.

Some owner's manuals offer suggested settings for different types of music. Both Ampeg and SWR recommend slight bass, mid (200 hz) and treble boost for "Rock". The mids are really the key.

A local bassist (MTV era rock cover band) who's tone I admire deeply uses a Yorkville 200 watt combo (with a 15), a MIM P bass that has had the pup replaced with a Lindy Fralin. This guy's tone is to die for.

You'll need to adopt a rock attitude too...that will certainly help:D

As for effects...use your fingers or use a pick and change the point on the strings where you attack the strings...that's all you need.

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

I agree with Billy,

Mids and attitude are the key to playing rock.

13. Yes.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Love my low mids... that's where purr and growl and thump come from IMHO. But what your ears tell you is more important than what I say.

15. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I don't know why people think the cut mid sound is so nice. I like alot of low-mid in my tone but I guess that's just me.

16. a "frown" EQ setting will often work the best in a Marshall-powered, R&R set-up. SVT's are prevelant in rock because of their midrange "snarl" and slice. Sounds sketchy solo'd but should fit right into the mix when everyone is fired up.

17. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Go mids! On my BTB405, I like to have bass and treble about 70% up, mids waaay up, and pickup balance on the bridge PU mostly. My point is, mids are your friend. :D

18. MIA Precision and 200w Yorkville combo...

Hey! That's my set-up! :cool: Now all you need are flatwound strings...

I find that the Yorkville tone needs a mid / bass boost with a P-bass.

I would highly recommend buying a Tech21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI . It's a direct input box that can also be used as a tone-altering stomp box. Best known for copying the Ampeg SVT sound. I just tried an Ampeg BA-112 today and my BDDI/Yorkville combination nailed it almost dead on...I was shocked. :eek:

19. Wownirvana

Wownirvana

Jul 7, 2002
    Athens, GA
    I play a p bass through a GK 400RB that has those exact same controls and I use a rock tone. I agree you don't need any effects. I turn the bass up a little more than 3/4 the low mid around 3/4 the high mid at 1/2 and the treble between 1/2 and 3/4. Of course I use 10s, so if you're using larger speakers you'd probably want to cut the lows more and boost the highs a little bit more than what I said.

20. Ampeg 810 with a GK or Ampeg head and a fresh set of Roto's and you will ROCK.