Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a Good Slap Tone on a TRB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phalanx, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    Hey, i've had my TRB6II for ages but something that's always stuck in like a thorn is that I haven't been able to get a great slap tone out of it. The one I get is too clunky on the low end and too pingy on the high end, I can treat the pinginess with less treble but i'm always finding the low side too clunky, could this be because the action is too low (it's incredibly low but not fret buzz)

How do you guys get good slap tones on TRBs?, have any of you got some sound clips so I can tell if i'm actually asking for too much because the slap tone is usable, I just think it's a bit to clunky.

thanks

2. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Please tell us what type and gauge strings you are using, and how old they are. Also, what type of amp are you using?

I don't have a TRB, but it took me a while to dig the slap tone of my Ken Smith. Like your TRB, it is a good bass and you would think that you would like to slap tone. I hated it for the longest time, but now I like it.

I switched from medium to light gauge strings, and from a tubey Mesa amp to a punchy GK amp.

Also, please fill out your profile. If it was filled out I would know what type of gear you are using, your experience level, etc.

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I have a TRB6p and I can get a great slap tone out of it. I turn the bass and the treble knobs to about 2:30 as if it were a clock and pan a bit to the neck PU.

It's probably your strings. When I restrung my TRB with stainless steel D'Addarios the tone changed tremendously.

4. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    I've got some Rotosound Medium gauge on it at the moment running through an Ashdown MAG300 2x10 Stack. i find that if I use the neck pickup, it starts to sound like im playing inside a tamberine

5. zac2944

zac2944 Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I have no idea what it sounds like to play inside a "tamberine".

I would recommend trying some light guage stainless steel roundwounds. Even a cheap set would work. Also, blend your pickups 50/50.

These are just general recommendations for getting a better slap tone. As I said befor I don't have a TRB, but I do know that it can take some experimentation to get the sound you want out of your bass.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hmm. Maybe I have an older model TRB6p but I don't get anywhere near the same tone as you're describing. Could you post a picture of your instrument?

7. I got wicked slap tones out of the TRB5II I played at the store. Have a listen to some older Jamiroquai, Zender get's great slap tone out of his TRB5PII. Different bass models yes, but very simliar tonally.

8. On the topic of the TRB6 bass, what is the usual price of them? Also, could someone show me a link to them? Ive looked around alot and all I've really seen was the Yamaha site. Thanks.

9. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

You mean Nick Fyffe, not Stuart Zender. Stuart was the warwick player. Nick played on the later albums like Funk Oddessey and some of Synchronized. You can see him playing the TRB5PII (neck through) on the Live in Verona DVD.

10. My bad :smug:

11. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I sometimes fnd I have trouble slapping when the action is real real low. Like you just can't get notes to sound, period.

Do you have trouble getting a decent slap sound from other basses? If not, then I'd suggest new strings (As suggested above) and re-thinking your EQ. Generally, I can get good slap tops with no EQ tweaks. Sure, I can ice the cake by fiddling with the knobs, but the basics are there with no real effort. That's been the case with most every "slap capable" bass I have owned (as opposed to things like fretless, hollowbodies, P basses, etc...things that generally I don't associate with that stereo-typical slap tone).

If you do have trouble on other basses as well, you might want to work on your technique. I'm not saying that is your problem, etc. But, it took me awhile to get the hang of it, and I'm still learning!

12. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    No worries ;) I'd agreed he gets a great tone though! I still hunt for used TRB5PIIs on ebay all the time!

13. Phalanx

Phalanx

Apr 4, 2005
    thanks for the help guys, im still experimenting a bit. My B is getting a bit rattly so I think i need to raise the action on it

14. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

Hrm... good that you bring that up. I have had a fair number of basses that do not have good tone on the B string, but the others are just fine. Some just are not useable for slap on the B. I rarely do that on my one that are good anyway, though.

That being said, my Roscoe and MTD both slap on the B really well.

15. Hey there Phalanx, for me the key to getting my old TRB6II and TRB5II to sound great when slapped was getting one of these, it put the tone over the top, absolutely nailed Nathan East's slap tone, which is just pure killin' IMHO. I am not sure if Yamaha is still making them, but I have seen them floating around on ebay from time to time. Every bass I own sounds great through it, however the Yamaha basses are tremendous with it.

http://www.yamaha.com/guitars/products/productdetail/0,,CNTID%3D60151%26CNTYP%3DPRODUCT,00.html

Cheers,
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=234528