1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

getting a half decent amp under (NZ) $1,000

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NZBassman, Mar 14, 2013.

1. As mentioned on here the other day, my Warwick Profet nearly blew up in the weekend and I think I have managed to convinve my financial advisor (my darling wife) to let me buy a new bass amp.
    Anything up to $1k (NZ)- prefer around 500watts
    I'm either looking at buying a decent head to run with my Warwick 4x10 or buying a decent combo that can run an extention cabinet (that I can get at a later date)
    I don't need any fancy knobs / features etc.... I'm a simple man playing Rock covers and good volume is more important to me than fancy features!!

I'm not too keen on Warwick gear anymore - seeing as my Profet 5.1 just about blew up in the weekend!!

I am looking at: (all prices are in NZ $)
    Behringer ultrabass BX450 - thought behringer was rubbish, but have found some suprisingly good reviews online - $599 new
    Ampeg portaflex 500 - amp looks too small / lightweight, don't know if it will have the power I need - $799 new
    Peavey firebass 700 - 2nd hand - had Peavey gear before and really liked it $700
    Ashdown mag600 head,1x ashdown 15"cab and 1x ashdown 2 x10" cab - $900 2nd hand
    ASHDOWN 330-TOURING 15" BASS AMP COMBO - brand new -$1095

what are your thoughts?? :bassist:

2. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Rock covers?

I'd be leaning towards the MAG600 with the 210 and the 115. I've used that combination before and it works quite well. It's not the ideal speaker setup though. You're better off not mixing driver sizes but that's not a bad price for the head and 2 enclosures.

Getting the Portaflex and keeping your 4x10 might be a good option too. I think it would be nicer than your Pro Fet.

I'd avoid the Firebass without getting a higher rated cab to accomodate it. Additionally I don't like the tone on the Firebass but it is a powerful amp.

The Behringer is actually fine. I used one for 4 years with no issues. I think that's not a good price though and you've probably got better options.

3. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    All good options, but don't give up on Warwick amps. They don't make the ProFet line anymore, but the new WA series is a lot of bang for your buck and most over at the Warwick forum would say they're better than the ProFets. I bought a new WA300 for $450 in Australia; the WA600 could probably be done for $700 and it would meet your needs just fine.

They've also just put out a Class D amp, the LWA1000, but I don't know if it is in stores yet.

What's the 410 you've got? I have an older (2002 I think) WCA411 Pro and its a phenomenal cab. Monstrous low-end response.

4. it's 600w at 8ohms - not too sure on the exact model, but was new in 2007

5. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Sounds like a 411 Pro if it's 600w, same as mine. I think the 410 Pro is rated at 400w.

Have you thought importing from Australia? I just had a look at Behringer prices using Google Shopping, and their heads are mostly around the $300 mark here by the looks of it.

7. yeah you could be right there

8. I'm pretty sure those Ashdown cabs with the Mag600 are the same as the ones I was playing through on supplied backline a few months ago. Very wimpy.

The Firebass would be the pick of those but overpriced if you ask me.

9. $US. Not that there's a lot of difference at the moment, but you should get home under $NZ 1K all right.

It's rather better than halfway decent, too. Shall we say around 80%?

10. Plus freight, plus GST on freight and amp, add customs inspection fee, it'll be well over 1k by the time it's delivered, I've been there with a bass.

A power amp and a sansamp off the TB classifieds would come in under budget. Crown Xti series are not fussy about voltage.

11. Buy an Aguilar TH500 from a good US seller- superb amp, 500w switchable 110/240v power cost u under $700AUD /less than $800 NZD

12. Humblest apologies. I was unaware of how NZ GST functions.

13. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Random derail, but did you get this amp through Roger Fox? I sold him a ProFet and 4x10 about 2 1/2 years ago for someone he knew in Auckland

14. No I bought it new at the Rock Shop (www.rockshop.co.nz) in Christchurch in March 2007

I did have an old Trace Elliot AHF600? rig before that and that was super heavy (the 4x10 weighed almost 60kgs alone) and silly me decided to sell it and 'upgrade' to the Warwick..... I wish I'd never sold the Trace Elliot as I never had to push the volume past 3 at a gig... whereas with the warwick 5.1 I'm usually running the volume at 7-8 most gigs (and we DI to the desk too!)

15. Sigh. You could hang out for a reasonably priced Trace on Trademe. Shame the 250w combo is such a donk.

16. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
  17. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Holy dickens. I just looked at that website. They seriously want nearly $1900 for a GK1001?? Is that how much stuff costs in NZ?

Note to self...Stay on this side of the pond.

18. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Welcome to our world, IPYF.
    NZbassman, I would be looking at the Markbass R500 on TradeMe at $999-00. A reliable amp, new and well under the normal retail price. I think NZsimon (the seller) is Jansen in Auckland, who are the agents, so you may be able to contact them directly. I have a Markbass SA450 I bought from them a few years ago and use as a backup/practice amp. It has been totally reliable and at least there is an agent here for servicing should you ever need it. The Ampeg PF500 is well worth a look too, pop into the Rockshop and see if you can try one out with your cab.