1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a Half Stack, hopefully...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spalatalatan, Mar 12, 2009.

1. spalatalatan

spalatalatan

Jan 10, 2009
    MA
    I have two questions about amps and i'm fairly new to this stuff. So please don't yell at me.... :bag:

My first question is about getting a new amp, i want to get a 1x12, maybe a 2x10 and a head for about $500, any specific help would be great.

My second question is about ohms and other electronic stuff... I have no background in electronics, so could someone explain to me what the ohms vs. watts, or whatever it is, I'm not sure how they relate, i don't know, if you guys don't get it, sorry, im bad at explaining stuff...

:bag:

2. tom e smith

tom e smith

Jan 27, 2008
    Don't worry too much about ohms versus wattage at this point (it can be confusing at first). I would recommend getting the GK Backline 600 amp to start with. You can pick one up for around $300 US. It has plenty of power (300 watts at 4 ohms...sorry, I couldn't resist). I don't recommend getting the Backline cabinets, they get a little blatty when you turn them up. See if you can find a used cab (maybe a 2x10 or 4x10).

Okay that being said if the cab you want is 4 ohm you will only be able to use 1 cabinet with the amp head. If it is 8 ohms you can use it (with the Backline only giving you 200 watts) but you could add a second 8 ohm cabinet and use the full 300 watts that the amp is capable of.

I recommend getting an 8 ohm cab to start (4x10-which means 4-10" speakers in the cab) and adding another 8 ohm cab (like a 1x15). You get great mids and lows with this configuration and push a heck of a lot of air. I know it sounds weird but in the world of ohms 8+8=4. 4 ohms is the max you can use with the Backline 600.

Hope this didn't raise more questions than it answers.