Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a Martin Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, Mar 9, 2004.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Finally my wife broke down. I wanted an acoustic. We live near the Martin factory and many of our neighbors work there (so I can get one at like half price).

They don't project very well. The tone is nice on the B-1 and B-15. The Fishman Prefix works very well too.
    I'm thinking of getting the new special edition X-series aluminum top bass. It has a thinner body. Since I know it's not going to be very loud acoustically, I think I'm going to go for that one. I'm more concerned about good electronics. Plus, I'll be less concerned about humidity and dings.

I think it's pretty cool.
    Has anyone played an X-series bass?
    I've played the X-series guitar and didn't really like the tone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    With the warrantee service they provide, seeing as they are 2 blocks or so down the road, I don't worry about any factory flaws.

I'm hoping to set up a taste test among their models though at the factory.

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    MY BASS IS READY!!! :hyper:
    I'm picking it up at the plant today!!!

Super!!! I'll give an update after I bang around on it and then a review after Tuesday's rehearsal...then another after the next gig.

I anticipate it's going to sound "good enough" acoustically, and really hairy and dynamic plugged in. I'm not overly concerned with the tone though...I have the tone I want from my Smith and Acacia...but this thing looks so cool.