1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a motown tone out of a jazz...is it possible?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray2112, Mar 16, 2008.

1. I didn't know exactly where to put a thread on tones, so I thought this would be the best place. I've got a geddy jazz with roundwounds on it and am trying to get the best motown sound out of it without changing the strings. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know alot of jamersons tones came from the hook technique, but i've yet to master that:rollno:

2. pj-mike

pj-mike

Nov 22, 2005
    Bridgewater, MA
    Favor the neck pickup, roll off the tone some, and play up towards the neck just above the neck pickup.

3. Middle pickup, turning down the tone, and boosting the mid-lows, I think.

4. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

+1 on ALL of the above.

The only other thing I might mention is if you have a spare 60 bucks sitting around grab a Basslines Vintage and throw it in the neck spot.

5. Though the Geddy Lee Bass should already have vintage pickups.

6. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Both pickups running with a series/parallel switch and flatwounds.. Sounds OK for motown.

7. yeah man, just string up some flats, play the heck out of them so they mellow out, and then kill some of the treble on your amp or the tone knob on your bass.

i get a great motown tone that way.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    On the Geddy, you might want to ditch the rounds. The Geddy has a very aggressive tone, vintage pickups or not, and to get anywhere near the Motown style thump you need you are going to want to lose as much "zing" as you can from that bass. Get some good flats on that bass, then follow the advice given earlier (regarding neck p/u and tone knob).

9. +1

10. best way to start is to get them flats anyway as every body rightly said
    neck pickup full on
    roll off tone and treble boost the bass and flat mids
    play near the neck
    i would also recommend a 15" or larger cab