1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a New Alleva-Coppolo Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassist30, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    http://www.allevacoppolo.com/nygb23.html
    Getting my Alleva Coppolo soon. I played this bass and it is incredible sounding. Different than my NYC Sadowsky. A bit more vintage fender sounding. Going to have a Mint green pickguard put on and a metal pickup plate. Being it is a teal color and has a hint of green with the blue i think the mint pickguard would look nice. It really has a great sound to it. When I was on my way to try it out i was saying to myself i have a maple neck and swamp ash body already in my sadowsky. And being it has 70's pickup placements it would be too similar to my sadowsky. When i played it i was wrong. It was better than expected. It was so punchy and focused sounding. Very much in a fender vibe. Yet has some 70's and 60's hints in its tones. Simply loved it. Also Jimmy is a wonderful guy to associate yourself with. He is a new guy on the block and making a truly incredible bass. You can get some idea's of the sound of his basses if you visit his site, if you cannot have the the means with visiting his shop. You know how exciting it is when you are getting a bass you truly love. This is it. I have not doubt that Jimmy's popularity will increase very soon. I believe in his basses and i think many more will. In the mean time. Do you agree with the mint pickguard or what would you choose?:confused:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, I think mint would look good on that. Haven't got to play them, but Alleva Coppolo seems to be a huge hit with a fair amount of big names already playing them. Me, I like my basses much much cheaper than that, so I doubt I'd ever buy one, but they are catching on in a big way, so there you go. Enjoy!

3. Jonathan Maron it's using those basses?????

wow...

4. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    That color is so amazing!
    I know Jimmy's website is a always being updated with new stuff, but I wish he had examples of every bass he's ever made, because I'm constantly awestruck by the awesome colors he and his guys come up with.
    I opted for the traditional olywhite/tort combo on my LG-5 which is in the works, but part of me wanted to go for something a little more provocative. And that blue has it going on.

If I were you, I would add the pup cover and not bother with the pickguard. I know that it would look classy as hell.

Don't cover it up!

Matt

5. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    Oh yeah...how much does it weigh?

6. spiritbass

spiritbass

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Love the teal dye and agree with your choice of a mint guard. Should go together like cookies & milk.:) One of the contributors to the sound difference is that Hipshot B. One of my favorite bridges. Do you know what pickups Jimmy used in your new beauty? Enjoy, bro!

Ken

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

That is saying something if Maron is using Alleva-Coppolo. It seems he always used lower end or vintage basses. I guess it makes sense since A-C basses do have a strong vintage vibe.

8. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    The amazing thing is that Jimmy Coppolo winds his own pickups. I think you can use another if you want but his pickups are off the hook. Real Fender Vintage type of sound. Just love them. He does not make replacement pickup say for a fender . Once you have them on the only other is his own. Which is not a bad thing.

9. I vote for a clear pickguard. Uber class. :D

10. Nice! That should be a beauty. Post a review when you get it!

11. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I am not sure but its one of his medium weighted basses. I picked it up and its much lighter than my Musicman and slightly heavier than my sadowsky. Being the sadowsky NYC and is about 1 pound less than its metro series I guess it might be around that weight. 9 or 9 1/2 pounds. He made a bass that seemed so light like around 6 pounds. But some bassist like heavy as it may contribute to its sound. Like I said before its more than what I expected. All I can say that if you live somewhat far from New York, and you would love to check out some of its music stores which to me is probably the best in the world. It would be ashame not too as it can be a great vacation. you have 48th street, Fodera, sadowsky, Ken Smith, etc etc etc. A visit to Jimmys Place (Alleva-Coppolo) would make your mouth drool. The funny thing I brought a friend with me to jimmy as he was looking for a bass. One of Jimmys basses was hanging inside his work area and did not have the knobs on it yet. Well we were playing his basses and my friend caught and eye of it. He asked if he can try it. When i started playing it I noticed a wet spite come from my mouth. It sounded that good and I said to my friend "did i just drool"? He said yes and its on my bass. Right then he took out cash and bought it. True story.

12. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Congrats... That should be a real nice bass.. I love that color.. But I am real partial to all shades of blue...

13. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Is it because you have a blue one also? I heard your P bass Alleva and like i said i never heard a better P bass than that bass. There has been a few others that agree with me. Jimmys next step is to make replacement p and j pickups. Being that he hand winds them himself they are really one if not the best pickups.

14. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Thank you ...being modest but I have to agree with you..this is a unique p bass for sure... My kbp4 came stock with antiquityII P pickups since jimmy was not winding P pups at that time, only J pups.. He is making me a few different winds and magnet sizes to try out . hopefully i will get them this week to eval.. Im going for that '62-'63 kind of vibe if possible... pretty excited here ..I almost hate to do anything to this bass because it is sort of perfect..except for all my accidental relic -ing that i have done to it..but it gets played and moved every day.... But now it will have an Alleva Coppolo pup in there once we settle on what sounds right...Bassist30 Thanks for talking sense into me.
    The only mod that i have done is the hipshot D-tuner.
    I should be in NY in July so hopefully I will get to see your bass. I will bring both my Allevas and my Sadowsky pj5 this time..

15. turnuptheBASS

turnuptheBASS

Jan 30, 2005
    So. CA.
    sweet bass! Congrats, I'm sure you're going to love it

16. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I saw in your profile that you are getting one also. What was your turning point. You have some nice basses and get the feeling you got the vintage fender thing happening. Whats in your lG that is coming soon? You know I am somewhat surprised more do not know of his basses yet he has not been around for that long. They way they sound im sure having the lower serial number will benefit its value.:hyper:

17. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

Like I said many times, that is the best P bass i ever heard. But knowing Jimmy those PU's will sound great. Interesting that you mentioned bringing your PJ. I asked Jimmy if he was making a PJ and he said no. He really is totally in the vintage sound in every way. Not that Im against the PJ but it was done originally for the vintage P's to have some brighter sounds. That is probably the single disavantage to the value of the older 60 and 50's P's. Not to mention now the 70's. So I hate to mention this publicly, but when you wanted to put a j in the bridge section of that bass I would have gone to Texas and take it from you. I mean it. Again Im not a PJ hater but not that bass.:)

18. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Your right there should be a sound example in all the models. But he is one of the few who do have sound examples. Im sure he will have more sounds. But I always thought that would be a great idea if all the companies did that. But than there is an argument that MP3's will not give a accurate response to the instrument or amp.

19. Nice! Congrats on that beautiful bass. I agree totally with your description of the tone vs. the Sadowsky.... the A-C is more vintage and traditional, with a more transparant sounding pre.... as I've said before, like the 'best Fender ever' in 5 string version. You will love it.

I have a feeling the mint guard with look great. One thing to consider, as I've posted before, unlike the Sadowsky Standards, which have a very large distance between the strings and body without a guard (which can be an issue if you slap), the lower radius fretboard and deeper neck pocket of the A-C results in the strings being much closer to the body.... so a guard isn't absolutely necessary to keep it 'feeling' like a classic Fender.

Enjoy the bass... the pickups and pre are just wonderful... and it's very quite for single coil instrument.

K

20. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Something to think about. I have been bouncing around the idea of having double strip tape under the pickguard incase I want to change it. You know its hard putting screws into a nice piece of wood.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 28, 2021