Getting a new Bass, need some direction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Hey guys, I am getting a new bass soon cause my playing has started to get more serious (I am playing more!!!) Anyway, I have a MIM Jazz and it works great but there are some things I don't like and kind of feel like treating myself to something great, y'know the feeling?

Well, I play in my schools jazz band and rock, jazz, w/e in the band I play in. I am trying to get something that works for both. I know for sure I want it 4 string, and I am considering the Stingray. But also on my list are the higher end fenders. I already have a good amp. I know the decision in the end is mine and I have to play them but I was wondering what you guys think would be most versatile and from your experience have a great sound. I can't spend more then 1k ish.

2. You have the option of upgrading your MIM Jazz, (pups, bridge, electronics, tuners)
    since you like the bass......... or you can purchase a MIA Jazz Standard.

I would go for a good used MIA Jazz..

Happy Hunting!

3. Hey Davy3

Be aware that new Fenders and Musicmans cost somewhere between $1200 and $1500. If you look on EBAY you might find one for around a $1000. Another company to consider is Carvin. They are strictly mail order which enables them to sell really good quality instruments at budget prices by cutting out the middle man(music store dealer).
    This also allows you to customize your bass with different body woods, pick up configurations, neck construction, hardware, ect. If you don't go to crazy with customizing you can get a nice bass for around a $1000. They also sound and play great and work great in any musical environment. I have friends who own these basses on which I have tried out and they are definitely cool. Here's Carvin's info: Telephone: (800)854-2235, email: Some more advice, stay away from Deans, lower line Yamahas, Spectors, and Ibanezes. I had to learn the hard way about that. Good luck, I hope this helps.

4. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    I love my MIM jazz but after listening to my two main mentors. One local great player and Carol Kaye. I would opt for the best Pbass I could afford.
    Both seem to lay down the best bass lines I ever heard with some sound that if anyone don't want it I just wouldn't understand why not.

5. Carol currently plays a Fender Precision Lyte.........and the necks are twisting on her........

A good "used" P bass or a Jazz bass is the way to go IMHO.

6. I agree. You can get a really nice used Fender for a very resonable price. When I was looking just recently you could come up with them locally for about $400-$700. Less for non-American.

Shameless plug, the reason I didn't pick one of those up is because I got a really sweet deal on a new Sting P-Bass that I couldn't pass up.
  7. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Get a 80's Yamaha. Models BB 400-1200. I have a Bb1200S and I am very happy of it: neck-through, active electronics, maple body and neck. They are very cheap, especially if a bridge pickup has been added. I am going to check a another one of those babies really soon.