1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting a new bass.. (Probobly a 5 String)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sageknight, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Sageknight

Sageknight

Aug 17, 2005
    New York
    Hey everyone.
    My name is Salvatore (SageKnight).. And I have about 1 1/2 of bass EXPERIENCE. I've been playing bass since about early Fall, 2003.. But I have to be honest.. I really couldnt have the time to pick up the bass,(I was out in a "residential/correctional facility") so i'm counting those month's when I actually practiced my chop's alot. (I practice pretty much everyday, and everyday just about fit some time in my day to practice)..

Anyway.. I am thinking of buying a 5 string..
    I'm not into that whole "Drop Tune/Detune/Low... LOW end" thing.. But I am probobly going to tune the 5 string in a different tuning then BEADG.. (It's still debated, so I don't really know)..

Anyway, I play alot of Heavy Metal/some grunge: Metallica, Nirvana, SOME Pantera, Ozzy Osbourne, Stone Sour, etc...

I have about 550-650 dollars in my price range..

Heres what I was thinking about buying:

ESP 5 String Bass
    Fender P-Bass 5 String/Squier P-Bass 5 String
    Rock Bass/Warwick 5 String
    Insert your opinion (if any) here..

I am going to (probobly) out fit them with some Dimarzio's or Emg's or Dunkin's later.. But for now.. that's all within my price range..

Any opinions/thought's??
    I'm not sure if I'm going to use distortion, so I guess i'll be updating this post as soon as I get some new information..

Other Information: I love to play metal alot, but I also like to groove. Cliff Burton, Jason Newstead, Geezer Butler, and Robert Trujillo are great examples of what id love to do when playing bass in my band..
    I love to play metal riff's and just go ruthless and head banging.. But on the other hand.. I also like to go up high on the neck, groove, and lay down a beautiful chordal bassline/fill's..
    I'm definitly more of a "Trujillo" then a "Rex "Rocker" Brown (Pantera) or a "Paolo Jr. (Sepultura)".

Please reply if you can help!! Thank's!!