Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a new bass soon, help me.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JWC, Jun 4, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I am getting a new bass pretty soon, when I get the money for it. Ok, the features I want go as follows:

Shorter scale length than a Precision.

Meduim neck width. Not as thick as a Precision, but not skinny by any means.

Punchy tone.

What are some options?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Watch eBay for a nice Kawai. Kawai basses pop up on eBay every once-in-a-while. Most Kawai basses are 32" scale Alembic copies - very nice! You can probably snag one for $400-$500 (maybe less!).

(I didn't see any on eBay right now, but you're not buying right now.)

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    any of the new warwick bolt on's can be had in 30, 32, 34, or 35 inch scale lengths.

a fortress standard 4string with a 32" scale would satisfy all your criterion, albeit expensively.

jason

4. You could try to find one of the original Fender Urge basses.. the Stu Hamm models. They were 32" scale. The new ones are 34".

5. I don't know what y'all are talking about with the inches and the fetters or whatever, but I want to start playing bass, and I'm not quite sure what to get or any of that. I was thinking about a Fender Precision.. ? I just want a nice guitar around $300 with a nice amp and stuff to start out with.. ok? So.. if anyone can give me some kind of advice or like.. I dunno, anything like that.. it would be sweet! Thanks! :)

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

The Yamaha RBX270 is pretty nice...light, P-J pups,
    slim neck. If only they made a fetter-less version :(.

Like the RBX260F, the futzin' possibilities are endless...
    new pup(s), bridge, tuners, etc. But it ain't bad right outta'
    the box either. It IS a 34" scale. Cheap!

Bass Northwest currently has three of `em...

Depressed Teenager Black

Sparkly Purple Mist

Wacky Rosy Raspberry

7. Yes, the Yamahas are really good value and they look great, too. Then there's the MIM Fenders. Why not check out the Squier starter packages = bass + amp: I don't know the price but I suspect they're going to be about $300 / $350?

And don't forget the second-user market. There's always some great deals to be had out there.

Why did you want a shorter scale length? The average on a bass (if such a thing exists!!) is 33.5" / 34". Most adults can cope with that quite easily given the practice and a bit of patience. Squier do the Bronco bass with a 30" scale length, but it's reckoned to be a bit of a toy. If you can find a Gibson EB0 copy or clone, that's about 26" scale length (normal 6 string length).

My advice would be to stick to traditionally dimensioned basses unless there's a really good reason for wanting to be different. I reckon that if you start on something like that the transition will be much easier when it comes time to get something better, although it might be harder @ first.

Good luck.

Rockin John