1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a new bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommy el Gato, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm looking at getting a new bridge for two basic reasons: Two of the Action adjustment slots are stripped out (slightly. Still adjustable, but there's lots of slip. And don't get me wrong given my previous thread in the repair area regarding my action; my action is fine.) and a higher mass bridge seems a lot more appealing than these wimpy fender bridges.

So, for my Fender Jazz, what's the bee's knees? Pros and cons of each?

I've been looking at Badass II (I suppose a badass III isn't an option considering that they are string-thru body style), Hipshot's A-Style and TransTone models, and Kahler's bridges. Any opinions on these? I know the badass II is definitely the most popular replacement/upgrade bridge for Fenders.

I'm not sure if this goes here, setup & repair, or the luthiers corner, so if the mods wanna move this, then that's cool.

2. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    BAIII's can be strung through the body or through the bridge....some have picked up the BAIII's because the saddles are pre slotted....

As to which bridge, it is a matter of choice. I am partial to the BAII myself, but would appreciate any quality made high mass bridge....

3. notdavey

notdavey

Nov 2, 2006
    Seattle WA
    I am a fan of the Badass II as well. I have on my Geddy Jazz Bass and had one on previous basses. I prefer the tight feel and tone when playing closer to the bridge on the Badass II.

4. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    Thanks for the responses. Upon some further inspection, it looks like a badass III wouldn't be such a good idea considering it's for newer fenders with only three mounting screws. It might still fit, but I'd like to keep all the holes filled. :p

And out of curiosity (and negligence that this question should go into setup & repair), what would I use to file the bridge saddles on the badass II?

5. Tommy el Gato

Tommy el Gato

Jul 6, 2007
    bump*

6. N8116B

N8116B

Jan 14, 2008
    Earth
    Just buy it pre-slotted
    http://bestbassgear.com/badass-bridge.htm

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I recommend the BAII. I got it installed on my deluxe and it is fantastic.

8. Then it rules out all the other on your list. Direct fit for Fender five screw bridge, AFAIK, are the BAII, Gotoh 201 and HipShot Vintage Bass bridge.

9. dleechuy

dleechuy

May 13, 2005
    Philippines
    would changing the fender bridge into a badassII change the tone? and how?

10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I don't notice a tone change. More of a sustain change, really.

And it's so much more stable. It gives my strings a little more resistance.

11. UndeadGladiator

UndeadGladiator

Jan 7, 2008
    This is a great thread because I've been considering changing the bridge on my Squier P-Bass Special to a Hipshot style B.

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=152#

Before I order one, will it fit my Squier, does anyone know? And has anyone had good/bad experience with this model? I just need a little more sustain.

I'm also considering upgrading the pups to SDs. I was considering the "Hots" on the P & J pickup. Any more comments on that upgrade possibility?

Thanks in advance, o titans of the thump!

12. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I am a HUGE fan of the Hipshot A-style. I think it's one of the most beautiful bridge designs I've ever seen outside of something wooden, and I can tell you from experience with my Carvin that they're a joy to use. They're very solidly designed, easy to adjust, and hold intonation well, plus the option for either top-loading or stringing through the body. My particular bridge doesn't have adjustable string spacing due to the piezo saddles, but I believe most Hipshot A's do, so that's something you might consider as well.

The only downsides I can think of are that it's probably not a direct replacement and that it really doesn't look anything like a Fender bridge. I couldn't care less about the second one, the first one might be a minor downer if you're scared of drilling holes, but that's not really hard either.