getting a new cab, Bergantino or Epifani?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Which is better? Which has more low end?
  2. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    What size speakers are you talking? There are others here who can give you more accurate info than I but I have played thrue cabs by both of those companies. I tried a Bergantino 2X10 in a store and it was a very sweet sounding cab, very very clear and clean sounding, but not harsh. My bass teacher has an Epifani endosement:eek: he uses a three ten cab, which is also a very nice sounding cab. I would say that the Epi cab was more organic sounding, a little deeper(3X10 rather than 2X10) and had more midrange. somebody correct me if you feel these descriptions are not accurate. later
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A matter of taste. Both companies make great cabs. I own both. The Epifani T212 is a superb cab that sounds great by itself in just about any size room. I have the old horizontally oriented speakers. It's a bit "warmer" sounding that Bergantino's signature sound. By that I mean perhaps a bit less accurate and less hi-fi with more perceived low-end thump. Still a very clean cab, however, especially when compared to garden-variety cabs (e.g. Ampeg, Eden, SWR, etc.)

Bergantino's are very tight, clean and very hi-fi sounding. Not to eveyone's taste, as a result. They're also, as a rule, quite power hungry and need a lotta watts to really open up.

Best bet is to try out both cabs with your bass and a rig you plan to use, if possible. And get what you like best.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

i always thought Epi's as tight, yet with airy upper end, while the Bergie's in general had a juicy, yet hifi glassy sheen.

i much prefer the Bergie's.
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    You can't really go wrong with either cab.....but I too prefer the Bergies........massive low end with the sweetest high end I've heard in a bass cab:cool:
  6. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Allright, what about the aguilar 1-12 cab versus the berg and epifani 1-12? The aguilar price is a whole lot sweeter than the others. Also what about the new eden 2-10 XST or whatever it is? You can get two aguilar 1-12 cabs almost for the price of one epifani. Whats up with that?
  7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I would say the epiphani and the aggular are even in low end. the epi is tighter in the lows and does not have the scooped sound the aggie has.

The berg is very tight in the lows it will handle the eq thoughso you boost the lows. The berg has the best High end with out a dought.

If power is a issue the aggie is the way to go the epi is ok but the berg needs the juice.

8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

if i had a nickel for everytime i've answered this question... :D

but AJ is on the money. i'll just add that the Bergie's got that glossy, honey like sheen on top that i crave. the Bergie's my fav.

but unfortunately, in my rig, it doesnt quite push out my Low B with quite the authority my old Aguilar or a newer Epi had.

then again, anything going toe to toe with my Acme B2 in the Low B dept. would seem a wee bit undergunned. ;)
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    my 2 cents..........
    i have an aguilar which was not my 1st choice but got in in a big trade at a guitar show
    ag 112 is a cab that sounds great in your house but is a bit mid shy on a gig
    i pair mine with a bagend 112 which is a midrange monster so it works good
    i prefered the epifani and bergantino 112 cabs much better, epi does have more lows and "power", but berg is an amazing 112 too
    fyi, there is a lot of controversy re: these two companies and how the owners parted ways (bergantino worked for epifani) and who designed what...:eek:
    in comparison the eden/swr breakup was much more straightforward as eden always made the swr cabinets prior to the breakup and swr was an amp company
  10. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Back to the original questions:

Both the Bergantino and Epifani 112s are great cabs.

The Epifani definitely has more low end. The Bergantino will play the low notes, you will hear them fine, but the Epifani will shake the floor.

A pair of Bergantino 112s (I have an HT112 and an EX112) is a really good sounding setup, smooth with a lot of low end. A pair of Epifani T-112s is pretty good competition for a 410 - very loud.

I much prefer the sound of 2 112 cabs, myself, rather than one alone, and mostly use the Bergantinos. Sometimes I use one of each, rounds out the low end a bit.
  11. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    In the bergs, the speaker that is in the 1-12 is a different speaker than the one in the 2-12. The 2-12 has better bottom than 2-1-12's. My Bergie 2-12 will also "shake the floor" and get downright rude but to me the biggest difference is the general tone. To me the Bergs are more of an old school tone with better lows and dressed in a 3 pc suit but even that depends on the cab configuration. 3-10 sounds more hi-fi than the 2-12's to me in both builders. I personally thought the bergs where my sound and like others have said this is a win win situation. Just buy both of them and the one you dont like, well you can send that one to me for Christmas.:D
  12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    If price is an issue, and even if it isn't, you can't go wrong with the Aguilar 112, or better yet a pair. I can't speak about Bergie's 'cause I've never even heard them, let alone tried them out. But I did use an Epifani 3x10 and a 2x10, and later a pair of 3x10s, for more than a year. Great sounding cabs, but when I made the switch to the Aggies I knew I was "home" at last :cool: .

You really cannot got wrong with either Epi, Bergie or Aggie (sounds like a trio of Swedish flight attendants...excuse me while I visualize that for a moment :D ). But for sound quality and value, two Aguilar 112 cabs for $800 is hard to beat.
  13. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Nope...still $399. The speaker cabs did not go up in price along with the amps and pre-amps (so far).

And looky what they just added :eek:
  14. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002

How does the aguilar 1-12 cab do in volome? Like the comparison of what people say about Bergs and Epi are hungry for power. Let word my question a little better. Is the aguilar power hungry like the epi and bergs? Is it a scouped sound or is it pretty normal and just sweet sounding? I am used to two Bag End S-15D cabs. Will two aguilar 1-12 cabs stacked sound better than my Bag End 15's ? Will it be louder? I will be using an SWR SM-900. Thanks
  15. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    First of all, the SWR SM-900 has tons of power, no? So "power hungry" cabs shouldn't be an issue for you. I use an Aguilar DB750 (750 w @ 4 ohms, 975 @ 2 ohms), and even with a single 112 it's friggin' loud . When my second GS112 comes in (any day now), I'll be trying it with an Acoustic Image Clarus amp (300 watts, six pounds!) so I'll be better able to address that. The Clarus is extremely transparent, and combined with the 112 (or two) will be a great sounding and easy to move rig.

There's no way I could say that the Aggie 112 will sound better than your Bag Ends, as "better" is totally subjective anyway. I would suspect that, with the added tweeter, you'll get a more versitile and focused tone than the 15's. Playing around with the tweeter's attenuator really allows for tweaking the highs for personal taste. I personally don't like 15's, especially without a tweeter. And aren't the S-15D the deeper cab version? Pretty bass heavy, I would suspect? Assuming that's the case, and not knowing the Bag Ends' specs, the two Aggie 112's could quite possibly be louder.
  16. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Craig, I will be interested to know how the Clarus does with a single 112, where it will give you 120 watts. You only get 300 watts out of one of those with a 2 ohm load.
  17. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I'll just through this into the mix. If you're looking at twelves then you should also look at Euphonic Audios' CXL112 at
    here are the specs I copied from their web site
    Crossover: 1.9KHz
    Coaxial Woofer: 1 - 12"
    Tweeter: 1 - 2" compression driver
    Impedance: 8 ohm
    Power Handling: 350W
    Response -Low: 38Hz
    Response - High: 14KHz
    Sensitivity: 103dB
    Height: 19"
    Width: 17"
    Depth: 15"
    Sound Pressure Level:
    (with 350w @ 1M) 128dB
    Weight: 49lbs.
    I like it alot. Down to 38 hz and a 103 db spl and only 49 lbs. Shaaweeet.
    Even if you don't like it, it's definetly worth a look since it's in the same class as the others mentioned
  18. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  19. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT

You are correct sir...but I'd most likely use it with 2 GS112 cabs, so that's 200w. 120w will be enough for rehearsal and really small gigs though. Plus the entire rig will fit into the rear hatch space of my wife's VW Beetle :D .
  20. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Craig, I really am interested to know how the Clarus works out. I was interested in it but went with a GK700 as my small carry-around head (225 watts with one cab, 360 with two). It works pretty well, especially with a pair of cabs, but at higher volumes you can start to hear the lack of headroom compared to a kilowatt amp. :cool: