1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a new Forte tomorrow...maybe

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matti777, Sep 13, 2019 at 8:55 PM.

1. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I've been mulling over a new smaller lighter Class D head. Selection is somewhat limited around here and I'd like to trade some gear in as nothing is selling anyway. They have offered reasonable trade in values. So my choices are Berg Forte, Markbass LM3, GK MB500 or 800, Tech21 VT and a Mesa D800 (had one briefly but didn't care for it with my old Aguilar GS112 cabs). I seem to like open sounding clean, tight, thick bass for rock, blues and funk....all fingerstyle. I've got a new/used Fearful 15/6. Bottom end is no problem. Its the first time I have had to turn the bass down. The whole rig is total overkill as I don't that kind of power or volume or nneed a lot of bells and whistles. As the price difference isn't overly significant I'm thinking the Forte is my best bet. Any thoughts or opinions? I'm always glad to hear what people have to say.

2. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    If you can try out a Genzler Magellan it may be right up your alley. Fantastic amp

Timmy-Watts, Loring, REV and 2 others like this.
  3. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    no Genzler in Canada as far as I know

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    There's a Genzler dealer in Mtl so they may be in Canada as well, LOL. I think any of those amps will do you fine. If possible, consider the Mesa D800+. It's less dark at noon than the D800, more tweakable and your experience with the D800 was surely coloured by those GS cabs. Even though you don't need more volume, I'd eliminate the lower powered heads that only push 350 watts at 8 Ohms....that fEarful is presumably an 8 Ohm cab that likes power....in a few years when you find yourself unexpectedly playing reggae at an outdoor gig you'll have the tools.

matti777 likes this.
  5. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Aguilar!!!

punchdrunk likes this.
  6. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Guitar Shop is a Genzler dealer.
    theguitarshop.ca

7. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I wouldn't mind trying a Tonehammer again with this cab. Genzler is in Montreal or Mississauga which are 2000 miles away. Its a long way to go for a trade :) We have one chain out here called Long and McQuade. They are good but can't carry everything.

8. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    It says they have a D800+ so I will look at that. I like the better EQ for dealing with bad room acoustics.

9. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Actually for the tone you describe you're looking for you should consider the AG700.

bertthebassist likes this.
  10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Bergantino

petch and Bassheart365 like this.
  11. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    The Bergantino Forte is an awesome amp!

petch and Bassheart365 like this.
  12. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    No Aguilar around here unfortunately

13. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Forte is a top-notch amp. Can't go wrong with it.

petch, Loring and Bassheart365 like this.
  14. Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Well I've owned or played through every amp you listed or mentioned and the AG700 fits exactly what you describe you want in your tone. One of my favorite amps. Still have mine and my Forte, D800+, and Magellan are long gone. Don't miss em at all.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 12:13 PM
  15. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    D800+ was stolen so it’s the Forte. Al the class D stuff is locked up in a glass case now.

16. I recommend the Bergantino, but if you can afford it, get a Forte HP. It's the last head you will ever need.

ExaltBass likes this.
  17. Have you tried the Traynor offerings? I've been using an SB500 for a couple years and love it.

edencab and Loring like this.
  18. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I've got about 1/2 hour on the new Forte now and it is sounding good with the jazz and p bass through the Fearful 15/6. I should probably read the manual. The good thing about this deal is that I can return it for a full refund even though I traded in some gear. The amp is quite an improvement from the GK1001RB. I still say the old amps have more heft down low but that is a whole other conversation. Its like the GK was just too much down low for the Fearful and what I need. The volume and depth across the strings now seems much more even now. Perhaps its a better match to the cab. I didn't have to do much with the EQ. So far I would say its a good straight forward simple, neutral sounding and musical amp. The only things I don't care for, which are very minor, are the rear power switch and the small buttons for mute and bright.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019 at 2:16 PM
    petch, HD007 and ExaltBass like this.
  19. matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    not since I tried their tube amps years ago

20. iwearpumas

iwearpumas Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I'm thinking about trading my Aguilar AG700 for a Bergantino Forte. BUT, I already have a Bergantino B|amp. I wonder if I should even bother.