Getting a new GK, what bout bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vinpaul, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey everyone. I have been looking to upgrade my gear ever since I got my old set up (I was naive lol). I play in a lour rock band u could say (faith no more is a fair comparison in that its a rock band with subtle bits of many things thrown in). Anyweay, currently I have a Spector Q4 with a hartke 3500 and 410 and 115VX cabs. Next week I am getting a GK 1001rb head and cab (not sure exact cab, either an avatar set up or GK 212 or something else.) Anyway Id appreciate any bass recommendations I could get to go with it. I loove the way my spector feels, but the tone could be better I think. I am planning on keeping same bass (will undoubtely sound lot beta with new set up) but Im talking a little down the track. I played a euro spector the other day and while it was really cool, the feel wasnt as comfy and the sound was not quite as good as I expected to be honest. Im thinking of trying a warwick LX or stage I, any other suggestions? thanks heaps
  2. I play a StingRay 5 with my GK and it sounds great. I was playing a Sterling before I switched to 5 (Same electronics) and I got constant compliments on my tone. Some combonations of gear just work and this is one of them.
  3. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    GK and musicman = two thumbs up

it is just one of those magical combinations of gear.
    though really, i've found a musicman of any type sounds pretty damn good through any amp.
    the new fender deluxe jazz is a pretty nice bass as well.
  4. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Personally I would never buy an amp and then buy a bass to match it. Seems backwards to me. That aside. +1 on musicman and let's add some jazz/P bass to that, maybe a little bit of warwick and modulus. Ahh that's better.
  5. JebusChrist

May 23, 2005
    im bidding on a GK 700RB, should do me fine for a while. I could always add a sans amp/power amp later on down the line, or maybe a tube ampeg pre for some classic tube tone
    Anyone know a good cab to add to that head, I was thinking of an SWR Triad cab...
  6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Do a search on the amps forum for "Avatar."

Best deal in bass cabinets by far, IMO.
  7. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I've found that GK's are nice with traditional sounding instruments. Also instruments that sound are percussive.
    So I suggest jazz basses! Also where you like the spector shape it wouldn't hurt if you were to try out a few warwicks.

I get a lot of complments about how my Geddy Lee Sig suits my 700RB 210 really well.
  8. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I recommend a P-bass since P's are the best. :p
  9. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What's wrong with Spectors? They're a fine bass.
  11. p bass special, moded with a jazz in the neck(they make a custom shop model but I have yet to see one) and I think an avatar cab/s would do nicely.
  12. Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    no dont get me wrong I like my korean spector, the feel is GREAT, but Id say the tone is GOOD, and would like to upgrade in future. I find it to be a quitelow sounding heavy type of bass, not a lot of snap, which isnt a bad thing at all its great for most of our songs but a bit more bite could do nicely (and yes I have tried different settings on the bass)
  13. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I run a Stage 2 5 through this.
  14. G-Man

G-Man Keeping it Solid

Jun 1, 2005
    South Carolina
    You will get as many answers as there are bass players. Almost everybody out there that is happy with their setup thinks their's is about as good as it gets, but they're still looking for that elusive perfect bass/amp combination.

Play everything you can get your hands on, eventually you will find the bass that is right for you. :p At least for the moment. :meh:
  15. Your cab will make a lot of difference. I have an Ampeg BXT 4x10 and it sounds really good. Then I got a EA NL-210 and it just sings. No comparison... I still use the ampeg for outdoor gigs and large rooms but the GK sounds like a different amp all together with the EA.
  16. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    If you're gonna upgrade it then take out the EMG-Hz p/u's & put real EMG soapbars in it and hear it roar! :bassist: ;)
  17. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I agree that Music Man basses sound great through GKs, and also that they sound great through anything, and also that you should play lots of things yourself to decide. (Whew.)