Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a new Music Man S.U.B. need help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickalan620, Sep 15, 2004.

1. I will be getting a new Music Man S.U.B. 4 in black or blue (obivously with rosewood neck) and i know i am going to replace the ugly pickguard with a new one but i have no idea which color to pick. I am looking for something that looks good with the black or blue but is not overly plain like a white pickguard would be. Any suggestions. :confused:

2. Tortishell on black (or a dark blue) looks nice. Black Would look Good on both colors also, I believe.

3. I am really looking to get a stingray, plus i try to stay off of ebay b/c you just never know, especially with ungodly low priced items.

4. jaxlaw

jaxlaw

Oct 5, 2002
    Winter Garden
    I had a guy paint the White Pickguard on my MIA Fender Jazz. I knew the guy from my Biker days - was a professional - matched the paint color of the Bass and put a beautifull graphic - Cost me $50.00 - but I got a one of a kind pickguard - If I ever sold the Bass I could just swap it out for a generic one. Note the pickgard was painted not the bass

5. I could always get the skull and crossbones pickguard on a black S.U.B. (just kidding but at least it would be more unique and personal) :bag: On a serious note :rollno: how would a blue sub look with blue pearloid pickguard.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    White Pearl, definitely!

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Turtleshell on black is absolutely beautiful! White pearl would also look great too.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you want a plain W/B/W, PM me. I got one laying around.

9. I saw a SUB once with a clear pickguard, with wrapping paper cut in the same shape underneath it with a lobster design.

At least it was different.

10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Well there's this...

[​IMG]

But that's a Stingray.

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I believe this is a pearloid pickguard on my Bongo:

[​IMG]

12. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    I've heard the sub's are just as good as the stingrays except in appearnace. i heard there i no finish and it looks kind of plain. Im looking to get a lefty in a stingray but if the sub is just as good, ill wait to get a lefty in that and save about 500$

13. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Them crustaceans look vaguely familiar.

14. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal

That's not a Stingray, mate ...... that's a lobster. ;)

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    :D

16. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Mmm?

Funny that. :)

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Toirtoise shell on black looks great.

I would recommend saving alittle and getting a Stingray though. IMO they are quite a bit better/more respectable than the SUB. The SUB is great though but considering you can get a used Stingray for around the price of a new SUB, maybe a lil more..

18. I second that.

19. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I have a black SUB 4 that I put a black pickguard on. It is a nice bass...I like the feel of the neck more on a Stingray, but in the studio or live soundwise they sound the same (I have the active version).

Great price on a MIA bass. It is cheaper than some of the Korean offerings. The finish holds up well too.

Lync