Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting a new nut, suggestions needed (Should I have them cut it BEAD?)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I'm finally getting a new brass nut for my MIM Jazz and a new bridge. I'm wondering if I should get it cut EADG or BEAD. I personally really like the b-string, alot more than I like the G. And can't I just play down on the neck, and have essentialy a EADG? I can't play up on the neck and get a B-string on EADG.

Are Rotosound stainless round's Bs good?

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I feel the same way about it as you do. I play 5 string almost exclusively and my 4 string is getting zero play time.

My only concern, which should be yours too, is whether or not the neck can stand the tension from the heavier strings. I would likely go with a light to medium guage to combat any potential issues there.

K

3. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    You should definitely have it cut for bead if thats what string gauges you're gonna use. Just have a pro do it and let them give the bass a set-up with those strings on it. Just be just fine.

Chris

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think this will work well in Setup.