getting a new rig. stuck between 2. please help me decide!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drumnbassman, Apr 28, 2012.

1. drumnbassman

drumnbassman

Mar 19, 2010
    im looking at one of these 2 rigs and cant decide:

markbass mo'mark 800
    2x markbass new york 804 cabs stacked

phil jones bass MB500
    PJB 6T/9B cabs

im wanting something to accent the sound im going for. i dont care about all this "we dont colour your sound" stuff. i just want it to sound thick and growly and when i do slap i want it to slap me in the face. also being easy to move around is a bonus. weight isnt so much the issue, i just want it to be fairly compact.
    please help!!!

2. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Amp. Any that you like, but you should definitely at least consider a Genz Benz Streamliner 900.

Cab. Build (or have built) a 215 (using Eminence Kappa Lite 3015s or Faital Pro 15PR400s) with or without a 6.5" midrange driver (or two) and with or without a super tweeter/horn. Lots of excellent options (all better than the cabs you listed), but my favorite is Don Oatman @ Low Down Sound.

Low Down Sound - Custom Speaker Cabinets for Bass Guitar

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Of the 2 you describe, Markbass by a country mile.

4. drumnbassman

drumnbassman

Mar 19, 2010
    wow those low down sound cabs look really awesome... maybe thats the direction i should be looking in. thanks iualum. i will look further into them.

5. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Well, no worries. There are other excellent choices, too, like I mentioned. There are guys who love their 1515/66, Greenboy Dually, BFM (Bill Fitzmaurice), Barefaced, & Audio Kinesis.

Probably forgetting another one somewhere. So apologies to whomever that may be.

Do some searches in the "amps" forum here on TalkBass. Or just go through 10-20 pages to find a lot of cab/amp threads that should interest you.

I favor LDS because there are basically no limitations to what Don will build for you if you want it. Lots of cosmetic choices too (tolexes, grill cloths, Duratex colors) if you're into that. And the bottom line, for me at least, is that Don can likely build what you want for a bit less coin. And I don't mean by cutting corners or doing shoddy work. He just seems to be able to usually be slightly more competitively priced. Do your homework & see for yourself & you can make your own decision.

I think a basic 215 (& adding mid or high frequency drivers to it, if you want to) is the single smartest large cab that can be built. And by that I mean powerful, not physically fridge-like, although not small, of course, lol. We're talking ~36-42" tall x 20-24" wide x 14-16" deep & ~50-60 lbs. Loaded with either of the full-range 15s that I mentioned, you'll almost literally blow people away.

Anyway, cabs from any of the builders mentioned above will be superior to far superior to any commercially-available product by the big boys.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    When I think thick & growly I think Ampeg, Mesa, GK, GB Streamliner, etc.

Not Markbass or Phil Jones.

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I agree with this. Look for an amp that puts 500 watts into 8 Ohms (my light fave is GK MB800) with a super 15 cab. I love Don's work at LDS as well. I use his 15/6 with a Mesa M9 :)))

8. drumnbassman

drumnbassman

Mar 19, 2010
    im not a fan of larger drivers. and none of these companies make anything smaller than a 10. multiple little drivers is the way for me. i really like 8's and i like the science behind the phil jones stuff too. not only did i want thick and growly, but also VERY punchy. and although a lot of the 4x10s by these companies are great, they arnt the kinda punch im looking for.

never really beed a fan of genz benz. just doesnt do it for me for some unknown reason. so many great reviews of their stuff on here and i guess i just dont see it?

iualum im really wanting to stay away from 15's. to slow for me. again, i like smaller drivers. anything else you could recommend?

9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    I have an MB800 on the way from RMC Audio. Can't wait!

10. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    My honest recommendation would be to re-think the 3015s/15PR400s. These are both tremendous drivers at the top of the food chain. Plenty of punch.

If you really like 8s & you decide you really must have 8s, then the Faital Pro 8PR200 is your boy. Best 8 on the market, im(very)ho. Super 8.15 Xmax & 162cc displacement (Vd). But it takes 3.1 of them to equal the displacement of a single 3015. And even then the 3015 wins with its 100.8 SPL vs 95 on the Faital. As great as the 8PR200 is (& it is), it's just not a fair fight, plain & simple.

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    You can still use the cabs with smaller drivers. I was mainly talking about the heads.

12. drumnbassman

drumnbassman

Mar 19, 2010
    ah i see. ive just kinda always liked keeping things matching... ive always felt that they build their heads and cabs to go with each other. thats why those head choices. i really really dig the GK fusion 550. sounds deadly, just not enough guts for me.

thanks for the recommendation on the 8" driver iualum. what about doing those 15s each in their own box? would that add a bit more snap to them? if i did go for 15" drivers i would probably want two 3 way cabs so i could stack them for bigger gigs and only use one for smaller stuff. which is why i liked the markbass rig i was looking at. if i did go with 8" drivers it would be 2 4x8s the like MB NY804. but it would be cool to get a 3 way cab ala accugroove kinda thing.

which of those 15s do u like better? the eminence or the faital? and why?

13. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    For a 3-way, the Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LF is the 15" speaker you want.

14. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Don at LDS apparently loves 8"er's too :) That could still be a great option.

FYI, I don't have any experience with his stuff, but have heard this same thing a lot in other threads.

15. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yep, could be. I'm in a conversation with him on a 4x8 using Faital Pro 8FE200s.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021