Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a new (to me) Saab!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by feckn_eejit, Mar 19, 2004.

1. I guess I'm moving away from BMWs!

I thought this might interest you, Josh: Beginning of April I'm getting a 1993 Saab 9000 Aero.

2.3 liter turbocharged inline four cylinder with 16 valves and dual overhead camshafts
    225hp@5500rpm
    258lb-ft@1950rpm

Apparantly this car will go from 50 to 75mph faster than a 1992 Ferrari Testarossa, or a 1992 Porsche 911 Carrera 4. Not bad, methinks.

Just wanted to brag and express my joy :)

--jeff

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Mmmmm black Saabs are sexy.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool man! Have fun SAAB's are my favorite cars.

I love my BMW, but I have a dream of finding a mint 91 SPG. In fact, if someone with a 90-91 SPG offered to trade I'd probably say yes, even though the BMW is mechanically superior and worth more money.

My next car will most likely be a Viggen. I love boost.

edit: Jeff, keep track of how many tires you destroy launching that thing. :D :bassist: :bassist:

edit edit: this bears repeating - 258lb-ft@1950rpm :eek:

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Exellent Jeff,you'll love it!

Bliss: I wouldn't call BMW's mechanically superior to Saab's. I work on cars and I've encountered more problems with beamers than Saab's I know 10 to 1. -Luke

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    tight ride yo!

-Mike

6. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    As always, depends on who you ask. I can NOT count the number of mechanics I know on two hands, and I know I could get some for either side. I did say the BMW is mechanically superior to my (now gone to the great rustbin in the sky :( ) Saab, but in the context of my post you can see that I meant mine. My bimmer is a 325is, one of their most solid, my Saab was an 88 SPG, made just before they upgraded a lot of turbo 900 parts, like the tranny (
    89 tranny was stronger). I also think each company, like most companies, make a mixed bag in terms of quality. -Either way I think both make/made some of the best cars in the world.

edit - versitile, how many SPG's do you see? It seems to me that they are slowly disappearing and I really want to grab a good one before they vanish completely.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Is it a chick magnet?

8. Hey guys, thanks for all the comments :)

As for whether or not the car is a chick magnet, I tend to doubt it is - one of my female friends told me the car looks too "grown-up", however, since I've already got the "chick", I guess I don't need a chick-magnet. Unless, however, the Aero turns out to be chick-repellant! Then I'm hosed.

A Viggen would be AWESOME. A 9-5 Aero is a little more my speed, however. Josh, do you ever check out www.saabnet.com? They have a classifieds section on there - there's usually one or two very nice SPGs for sale on there at any given time...

Basically, I was looking for a late-model good-condition SPG, until I drove a 1993 9000CSET. Automatic, even! That got the little gears in my mind turning like crazy, so I went and drove a '95 Aero 5-speed at the stealer, and then made the deal to buy this '93. SPGs are awesome, but the freight-train low-RPM boost of the Aero is totally another ball game. It's intoxicating!

As for BMW vs Saab for mechanical strength... each has their strengths and weaknesses. A 1988 900 SPG vs a '93 325is is no comparison - the BMW beats it hands down. The Saab 9000 seems to be mechanically more solid, however. They don't have the dreaded catastrophic manual transmission failures of the classic 900s, for example.

The 900 and 9000 are really very different cars. Turns out I'm more of a 9000 kind of guy.

I'm not so much of a burn-rubber-off-the-line kind of driver - I'd rather sneak up behind someone who's already speeding and blow them out of the water :) The Aero should excel at that! Also, the traction control on the Aero limits torque so the wheels don't slip - luckily this particular car has been retrofitted with a TCS shutoff switch!

All I can think about is getting this car - just...a...couple...more...weeks...ugh!

--jeff

9. Yipes! Sucks to be your friend... What model was your BMW, SMASH?

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, but I'm waiting till the last minute due to cash flow, I just bought a house.

that's all I meant to say.

--but you can melt tires if you want. SAABS are cool sleeper cars, people never expect them to scream like they do. AERO's rule Jeff! :bassist: :bassist:

11. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    stooopid yahoo.

12. Bugger...

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I still can't get them.