1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Getting a P bass sound out of a non P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPlayer95, Jan 7, 2012.

1. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    Title pretty self explanatory. First, let me explain my gear. I currently rock a Dean Edge 09 (all the descriptions just say 1 soapbar pickup) an Acoustic B10 15 watt amp (very simple, volume, high, mid, low knobs) and a BP90 multi-effects pedal. Next, I can't afford a p bass. And Squier doesn't make lefty p basses. What's the best way to get aP bass sound?

2. It's a pretty looking bass, but I'm assuming that it sounds like a single-coil pick-up. If that's true, it'll sound as much as a P Bass as a Jazz Bass with the neck pup solo'ed, which doesn't sound much like a P to me. But I could be wrong about it's tone. Is the tone bright?

If it is bright, I would recommend stringing it with some dullish strings, maybe halfrounds, or even flats, and lower the tone knob a tad.

Is there a certain tone, you're trying to achieve?

3. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    Yeah. I want a Mark Hoppus sound.

4. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    As for bright, yeah. But I want a more trebly sound. That probably contridicts the last post.

5. nyde7

nyde7

Jun 27, 2005
    Use the eq in your BP 90. A 15 watt amp is not going to give you awhole lot of volume but between the three you r should be able to get a decent P-bass sound with playing around with all the "knobs" ;)

6. Right, I'd maybe try bass up a little, scoop the mids, and treble up. When was the last time you put on new strings?

7. BassPlayer95

BassPlayer95

Oct 1, 2011
    I put new strings on the other day, but am currrently playing with only three cause the g string broke because I tuned it too tight. Regular gauge, roundwounds.