Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

getting a punchy tone out of my eden

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snapple, Mar 23, 2004.

1. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    Hopefully someone out there will be able to help me, i just did a search and got a pile of how edens deliver the goods, but nothing on how to get that sound out of it.

I've got an Eden CXC 400 combo amp which i run pretty much flat (a slight boost on the bass and treble knobs... contour/compressor at about 3/4) and i want to know how to get a funky punch out of the thing. right now im getting a nice warm round sound but it's a little much for my band. My axe is a stingray 5 and i occasionally boost the treble or mids on it to help cut.

any help is appreciated.

2. Try boosting the upper mids a little, you will find that the EQ on an Eden amp actually does something. Temp, humidity, barometric pressure, room configuration, construction materials, and state of occupation of the room will have an effect on EQ. Keep adusting, it is in there somewhere.

John

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Yup, I use a 'Ray 5 with an Eden Navigator pre, and I've got so much punch I've got some to pack in an envelope and send to you . . .

I'm not familiar with the little Eden combos, but would suggest adjusting the frequency centers of the high mids, perhaps some of the low mids as well. Don't use too much enhance either - that knob sounds great when playing solo, but sucks the punch out of the sound in the band mix. YMMV.

4. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    Thanks guys, i'll give that a try on wednesday!

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Moderate compression and some experimentation with attack and release times can add a ton of punch as well. I'm shocked by the A/B difference of my P-bass running into an 800RB now that I've got my behringer compressor in there the way I like it.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you have the "Enhance" up 3/4 of the way, try backing it off to about 9:00. Higher settings scoop out a lot of the low mids you need to help cut through.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For max punch, turn the enhance off and set everything else flat. Then give a tiny boost to the mids at about 750 hz. Right now, you've got "smiley face" on your EQ and in the enhance. Smiley ain't punchy.