Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Getting a running start

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Mr Brown, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Mr Brown

Mr Brown Guest

Feb 20, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    Greetings all.

I've lurked around for along time on this side ( mainly thinking - " Gee these guys are smart. Not like the turkeys on the BG side. " ) and after much listening I've decided to undertake the massive project of becoming a bassist. ( Stupid Dave Holland Quintet. Inspire me will ya ? Why I oughta ... )

Anyway, as I now need to start the funding project to get this plan into action I was seeking advice for things to do that would help bass playing without needing a double bass, specifically in 2 areas:

1) I understand that BG is significantly different from DB, but would it be worth it for me to continue playing and practicing BG while saving my pesos, or would it be more effective to go sink my head into a theory book ?

2) It seems DB is a massive physical undertaking as well ( blisters, weak fingers, etc. ) Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do to make the inevitable pain pass quicker ? ( Other than copious amounts of malt liqour. )

I suppose I should mention that I do a whole world of jazz listening and a fair amount of classical listening ( mmmm..... Shostakovich )

Thank-you in advance for what will undoubtedly be some enlightening and enormously helpful responses.

2. as far as making the pain pass quicker... ifound it imperative to play less at one time.. for instance, i would play for a half hour or so, rest for fifteen minutes and return.. db can be especially unforgiving in the too much too soon area... best of luck..

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Hey, way to go! Stop lurking -- it looks menacing!

Here's my two cents, Australian:

a) Keep playing! The bass is a tool to PLAY MUSIC, not the other way around. Don't hesitate to learn more musical theory, too: It will only make you a better musician, a better improvisor, a faster runner and a better trick-skier.

b) Playing bass should not hurt -- soreness, perhaps occasionally, but pain, never. GET A TEACHER. Work on DB. If it hurts, STOP.

Have fun!

4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    1 keep playing the BG
    2 do stick you head in a theroy book it will help all of your music
    3 it does not take long to have the burnning fingers to stop buring. 1/2 hour a day every day and in a week or two you wont notice the burn. It will take longer for the fingers to get stronger but as time goes on they will and the 1/2 hour will trun into how ever many hours you want to play.

After many years of not playing bass I started again a month ago Last saturday I played 8 or 10 hours and I still have fingers left and they don't burn. Of all the things in my life I did wrong laying off the bass for about 20 years was one of the worst errors I ever made.

Oh! Number 4 Play scales all the scales over and over. On you BG and DB both.

Joe

5. I got my callouses via "trial by fire."

I started playing bass in my junior year of high school -- strictly classical.

In my senior year, I was recruited to play in the spring musical, "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying." 90 percent jazzy pizz. Full pit orchestra, no amp.

My fingers blistered then bled. But when they healed, I had the start of some nice callouses, which I am proud of to this very day (*sniff*).

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    A majority of student instruments are sold with little to no setup, which, when combined with improper technique, will lead to injury.

Invest the $$$ to have the instrument professionally set up.