1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a sansamp, need some advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GWFA, Oct 21, 2010.

1. GWFA

GWFA

Oct 21, 2010
    Hey,

Just signed up for the site so first off, hello! Now down to business.

I'm in a post rock/indie band right now and i'm in the market for some new gear. Everyone keeps telling me how great sansamp's are for tone quality, so i've decided to get one.

I've been shopping for some used ones, and a friend of mine is selling his DI Bass Driver, and I found on craigslist someone who is selling a Tri-AC. Could I get some tips/advice on which model I should get? I've heard both are good with Bass, but i've personally never gotten to try either of them.

Any advice/thoughts would be awesome. Thank you!

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

The Bass Driver DI is designed for bass, whereas the Tri-AC is designed for guitar. That said, the Tri-AC might work for you just fine.

I think the SABDDI sounds great; have never used a Tri-AC.

3. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    woof. there are TONS of threads on the different models of SansAmp. i'm not that familiar with the Tri-AC, but i thought it was more geared for guitar. could be wrong about that.

the DI Bass Driver is smaller, has no save spots, and has a fixed mid so it can sound mid scooped with a lot of settings.

are you going to be going into a head or into a power amp? what type of tone are you going for?

FUZZyBASSy beat me to it. SKEELZ.

4. I've owned both the Sansamp Bass Driver (floor unit) and the rack mount version (Sansamp RBI I believe) at the same time. They both have basically the same functions -HOWEVER- the rack version was very noisy/hissy. I immediately tried the Bass Driver floor unit and it is very quiet - like night and day in comparison. I sold the rack unit shortly after. Anyone else ever noticed this or did I have a lemon? Good product in general

5. GWFA

GWFA

Oct 21, 2010
    It would be going into a head, and i'm just looking for the fullest, most solid tone possible. Possibly some grit if I got the Tri-AC being able to switch between tones, but just mostly good full sounding tone.

6. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    well, the Tri-AC IS made more for guitar, so it's not going to emphasize the frequencies that are going to be important to you probably. so the Bass Driver will probably get you a better bass tone than the Tri-AC.

if the save spots are important to you they make 3 other models that let you save different tones. the Programmable Bass Driver DI, the Bass Driver Deluxe and the VT Bass Deluxe.

the PBDI is going to have the same fixed mid and 3 save spots,
    the Bass Driver Deluxe has 2 banks of 3 for 6 save spots, a mid knob and an effects loop,
    and the VT Bass Deluxe is the Bass Driver Deluxe with the voicings that the VT Bass pedal give you.

all of them will give you a more modern tone while the VT will give you a modern tone and a vintage-ish Ampeggy tone.

hope that helps.

7. GWFA

GWFA

Oct 21, 2010
    Thanks a bunch! I'll probably be getting the Bass Driver from my friend then. Next up after that, an Ampeg 610 cab and either a Fender American P Bass or a G&L L2000. :)

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I've had the BDDI and the RBI and they both work great . The RBI is a rack mount , not a pedal like the BDDI and the RBI adds a midrange control . I never had a bit of noise with either and I used the RBI with Crown and Carvin poweramps and plugged into a bunch of different sound boards . Great DI outputs from both .

9. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Never gig without my Sansamp DI, I have a rack RPM for my church gig and the programable DI for my main gigs. Also try the Tech21 VT.

10. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    yeah. i'm a huge fan of the VT Bass Deluxe. i just run that at the end of my board so i have a post efx DI if i need it and run it into a power amp into my cabs.

i have a Bass Driver for smaller boards, and a Programmable Bass DI that i used to use with a VT Bass (the pedal version) before the combo unit of the two came out.

GWFA - sounds like a nice rig! more speakers = better. i like 12's better than 10's tho. but that's just a personal preference thing i think. i rock a pair of Aguilar GS112's and a GS115. and it is loud and nice.

11. Since when did the BDDI deluxe have a mid knob?
    Did I buy mine too soon?

12. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    lol. am i tripping? that's the one of the floor pedals i haven't owned.. just the tiny single channel one, the Programmable Bass DI and the VT Deluxe. was going from memory there. which..... yeah. not always the most reliable.

my bad.