1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a Shock from my Frets

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by j1422, Jul 19, 2007.

1. j1422

j1422

Jun 23, 2007
    Vancouver
    I have a Standard Jazz bass and when I'm typing like this, sometimes the skin a bit above my elbow touches around the 15th fret and I get a shock. I don't get a shock when I'm playing regularly and I touch the fret. It could also be the string but I also don't get shocked touching the string. Also, when I wear shorts and the fret touches my leg I get a shock. I used to think it was because some frets were sharp but I'm pretty sure it's a shock.

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    It's the string. Frets are surrounded by wood.

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    BTW, I also get this. I don't get a shock with my fingers, but when I'm not touching the string and I nearly touch it with my elbow, I get a shock because of the hair in my arm and static electricity (I think). My solution was to buy a wireless :smug: which I wanted anyway, but now I get no more shocks as well. I'm sure there's a cheaper solution though!