Getting a similar sound from 2 different preamps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheCreature, Aug 22, 2004.

1. TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I recently picked up an Eden WT-300 head for small gigs. I run it through one Epifani 210. I love the sound - great "whack" and cut with the EQ set at zero and the enhance at 1 o'clock, maybe the treble rolled off a little bit.

My problem is getting that same sound from my big system - Demeter H-Series pre, PLX1602 and (2) Epifani 210s. I've been A/Bing them and playing w/ the Demeter's parametric all morning and can't quite get it.

My question is, what is it about the sound of the Eden preamp? Where are the humps in the response that make it sound that way and how do I get the Demeter to mimic that? Short of putting a Navigator in the rack (too damn many knobs) I want the large rig to sound like the small one. Any suggestions?
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well the big problem is where you have the enhance set
    the enhance knob is "flat" all the way to the left - 1 o'clock is a pretty extreme setting for that knob
    most people (i think mungi would agree if he shows up here) use the enhance somewhere between 9 and 12 o'clock, almost never beyond that
    the eden's enhance knob is a "global tone control" which boost lows and highs and cuts low mids - kinda a smiley face eq in one knob
    i might try cutting low mids with the parametric eq and boosting the dems' passive lows and presence, but i doubt you'll dupe the sound - an eden sounds like an eden, a demeter sounds like a demeter :p
    FYI, according to eden you can plug the headphone out of the 300 into a power amp, essentially using it as a preamp - i've done that with my 400
  3. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If the H-series Demeter is anything like my 201, "flat" response is, according to Demeter, bass and treble set at 12-1 o'clock, mid set at max and presence at 0. I had trouble figuring out my 201 because I was using 12 o'clock for everything as a starting point. Call Demeter on the phone (They're good people.) and talk to them...they'll help you out.
  4. Only one thing to do, sell the Demeter and get a Navigator! :D
  5. TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks for the "flat" settings. I'm having better results now that I'm starting from a known place. The Demeter has that interacting tone circuit like early Fender Showman/Twin amps. There's no such thing as really flat, but ...

No, no Navigator. I can't afford any more of those looks I get from the wife when the brown uniform guy comes to the door. Let's see - do I want a new preamp, or do I want to have sex again before Christmas.

Thanks again everybody,