1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Getting a Smart Phone for the Holidays (need opinions!)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Nov 5, 2013.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    My old and faithful Nokia "Brick" has finally bit the dust after 12 years of excellent service and performance. To say the least, it has been a fantastic phone, but I think I'm finally ready to move on from this relic :D

I'm currently in the market for a smart phone. It seems like everyone these days has one, and I honestly think it'd be a great thing to have considering all the traveling I do. I've had quite a bit of experience with iPhones, and I like them a lot, but I'm also curious to see what else is out there and which phones you guys seem to be liking or disliking. As it stands, however, I really am leaning towards an iPhone, so any suggestions between the various models would be much appreciated. If it helps, my provider is AT&T and I'm do for an upgrade. I'm not against getting last year's model, either :)

Thanks! And for those interested in seeing my old "Brick":

kkkk006_zps491de250.

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'm happy with my HTC One SV that I got through Boost Mobile.

http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/phones/htc-one-sv/

4.3" screen that looks good. I don't use a ton of apps, and the camera is mediocre, but it works great as a phone and the 4G LTE is fast with good coverage. They have an unlimited phone/data/text plan for $55/mo that goes down $5 every 6 months if you pay on time to a minimum of $40 which is where I am now. There is no contract so I can cancel at any time without a penalty. If the phone were stolen or broken I'd definitely buy another. If you can afford more there are better phones out there, but bang for the buck this was a great deal for me.

Good luck!

3. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Nexus 5 on T-Mobile. $350-400 phone, $30/mo unlimited text/4G data and 300 voice minutes.

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Beat me to it. I don't think I'll ever buy another phone that ISN'T a Nexus.

5. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Nexus 5. For many multiple reasons.

6. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Sadly I did :(

7. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    What do you like about the Nexus 5?

8. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    The hardware is essentially top of the line right now, at an extremely low price. It is fully supported by Google with a bone-stock install of the newest OS, many other manufacturers and carriers add unnecessary apps and "skins" which change the functionality and take up space/memory. Nexus devices will get OS updates immediately without the carrier/manufacturer delay that comes from them tweaking the source which may take months. Also since you buy it outright you are free to shop contracts and plans.

9. This. IMO if you don't go iPhone, Nexus is the only way to go.

lowsound

10. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    iPhone all the way for me. A 4s can be had pretty cheap and will do you just fine if you don't want to drop a bunch of money on the flashy new model that just came out.

11. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Link? Cheapest I found was $60 or so.

EDIT: I did find a $30 plan, but it had only 100 minutes.

12. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Yeah that's correct. I use solavei(but I'm not a dealer, I can't stand those business people trying to choke people into using solavei). It's $49 for unlimited everything, 4gb of 4g speeds. You can use the nexus 5 or any tmobile phone pretty much. Stay away from iPhone unless you like boring low tech.

13. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    iPhone 5. You won't regret it, and you'll finally see what all the fuss is about :)

14. speeves

speeves

Apr 18, 2008
    Nevada
    I like the Samsung S2. I've had it for over a year, and the screen is clear, battery decent, and camera is nice as well. I don't recommend the S3, due to battery drain. My wife just got one of the newest Galaxy phones, and it is just too big for me. It always feels like there is a punch line waiting when she pulls it out. She is mentioning some battery drain as well.

15. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Absolutely. The wife and I finally drank the Kool-Aid and couldn't be happier.

The 5s is an elegant device

16. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
  17. stay with nokia, get the windows phone. they're awesome.

18. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
  19. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    My daughter has an iPhone. I hate it. Clunky and stupid interface.

Some of the upper-end androids are quite nice. I rather like the LG Optimus G/Pro/G2. Very nice UI, easy to navigate, big bright screen. I have not been happy with Samsung phones.

The Nexus 5 will be my next phone.

20. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Oh yes, Lumias are very nice, best cameras in the business.

Whoops, 300 was on my old plan from Virgin Mobile, which I believe can be had for $35. Their phone choices are more restricted though.