getting a stambaugh. help designing?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Jan 9, 2006.

1. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    I'm looking to get a stambaugh custom. i think i'm going to bass it off of either his standard double cutaway shape or something i have drawn up. does anyone have any cool idea/wanna help me design specs?

as far as what i know i want, i know it should be 34" scale, 24 frets, 4 string, i think i'm going with a bolt-on, not just for price, but tone, as far as pickups, no idea. same with control knob setup. and wood types. etc, etc, etc.

2. My only advice for you is to tell Chris in detail(get him some examples of what you like/are looking for: CDs, MP3s, etc)the exact tone you want & follow his advice. This worked very well for me on a fretted 6. The shape is up to you; for my in-progress fretless 7 I had him modify an existing design.
  3. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

When I had chris make my bass, I had pictures of other basses that I liked and gave him examples of what I was going after. I also sketched out a design that I liked and Chris and I went from there. Chris and you will come to a joined vision as to what the bass will look and sound like. You have to have a specific idea of what you want to get out of the bass. Do you want it to have a specific sound? Do you want it to be versatile? When designing a custom bass you have to know everything you want down to the configuration of the knobs and what type of strap locks you want...

But no doubt, Chris will make your dream bass... you just have to have an idea of what you're dreaming of.

I'd be down for helping you design a bass if you'd like. :D
  4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I also agree ..... make sure you have a clear idea about the direction you want to go before ordering, and then listen to the builder. It's definitely a team venture between you and the builder ....... :cool: